Jul 1, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Robidas, 37, had a nightmarish 2013-14 campaign that featured two major leg breaks — one in late November that sidelined him for the majority of the regular season, and another one in the playoffs (after Anaheim acquired him at the deadline from Dallas).
When healthy, Robidas can be a highly effective blueliner. During the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, he appeared in all 48 games and averaged over 22 minutes a night for the Stars, recording 13 points. He also showed well for the Ducks after coming off the first leg break, appearing in 14 regular season games down the stretch while racking up five points and playing 20:37 per night.
In Toronto, he’ll be part of a new-look defense that also includes Roman Polak, acquired form St. Louis at the draft in exchange for Carl Gunnarsson. At the time of writing, the Leafs project to have a top-six defense of Robidas, Polak, Dion Phaneuf, Morgan Rielly and — assuming they can get new deals done — Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson, both of whom are RFAs.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)