Jul 1, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Jarome Iginla could be on the move again. Or, maybe not.
The 37-year-old winger, with 560 goals in 1,310 regular season games, is about to test the free agent market, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Iginla is coming off a solid season with the Boston Bruins. Despite his age and a slow start, he erupted for 30 goals on a Boston team that went on to win the Presidents’ Trophy as the league’s best regular season team.
His one-year deal, with an annual average salary of $6 million, as per Capgeek.com, is set to expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. The signing period for NHL free agency begins Tuesday, and we can’t wait.
There was a report around June 10 that the Bruins and Iginla had entered contract talks, although nothing really materialized from those. In fact, Iginla began meeting with other teams during the wooing period that began last week.
The Bruins and general manager Peter Chiarelli have gone on record as stating they’d like to re-sign Iginla. However, with the salary cap at $69 million, the Bruins are closing in on that mark, only about $1.6 million below it. Again, that’s according to Capgeek.com.
In terms of length of a contract, it appears Iginla is willing to be flexible, at least for the Bruins.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)