Jul 1, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Jarome Iginla could be on the move again. Or, maybe not.
The 37-year-old winger, with 560 goals in 1,310 regular season games, is about to test the free agent market, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Iginla is coming off a solid season with the Boston Bruins. Despite his age and a slow start, he erupted for 30 goals on a Boston team that went on to win the Presidents’ Trophy as the league’s best regular season team.
His one-year deal, with an annual average salary of $6 million, as per Capgeek.com, is set to expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. The signing period for NHL free agency begins Tuesday, and we can’t wait.
There was a report around June 10 that the Bruins and Iginla had entered contract talks, although nothing really materialized from those. In fact, Iginla began meeting with other teams during the wooing period that began last week.
The Bruins and general manager Peter Chiarelli have gone on record as stating they’d like to re-sign Iginla. However, with the salary cap at $69 million, the Bruins are closing in on that mark, only about $1.6 million below it. Again, that’s according to Capgeek.com.
In terms of length of a contract, it appears Iginla is willing to be flexible, at least for the Bruins.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)