Jul 1, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Jarome Iginla could be on the move again. Or, maybe not.
The 37-year-old winger, with 560 goals in 1,310 regular season games, is about to test the free agent market, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Iginla is coming off a solid season with the Boston Bruins. Despite his age and a slow start, he erupted for 30 goals on a Boston team that went on to win the Presidents’ Trophy as the league’s best regular season team.
His one-year deal, with an annual average salary of $6 million, as per Capgeek.com, is set to expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. The signing period for NHL free agency begins Tuesday, and we can’t wait.
There was a report around June 10 that the Bruins and Iginla had entered contract talks, although nothing really materialized from those. In fact, Iginla began meeting with other teams during the wooing period that began last week.
The Bruins and general manager Peter Chiarelli have gone on record as stating they’d like to re-sign Iginla. However, with the salary cap at $69 million, the Bruins are closing in on that mark, only about $1.6 million below it. Again, that’s according to Capgeek.com.
In terms of length of a contract, it appears Iginla is willing to be flexible, at least for the Bruins.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)