Jul 1, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Jarome Iginla could be on the move again. Or, maybe not.
The 37-year-old winger, with 560 goals in 1,310 regular season games, is about to test the free agent market, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Iginla is coming off a solid season with the Boston Bruins. Despite his age and a slow start, he erupted for 30 goals on a Boston team that went on to win the Presidents’ Trophy as the league’s best regular season team.
His one-year deal, with an annual average salary of $6 million, as per Capgeek.com, is set to expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. The signing period for NHL free agency begins Tuesday, and we can’t wait.
There was a report around June 10 that the Bruins and Iginla had entered contract talks, although nothing really materialized from those. In fact, Iginla began meeting with other teams during the wooing period that began last week.
The Bruins and general manager Peter Chiarelli have gone on record as stating they’d like to re-sign Iginla. However, with the salary cap at $69 million, the Bruins are closing in on that mark, only about $1.6 million below it. Again, that’s according to Capgeek.com.
In terms of length of a contract, it appears Iginla is willing to be flexible, at least for the Bruins.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)