Jul 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Cory Conacher might be too young to be deemed a “journeyman” NHL forward, yet he’s experienced quite the taste of that life during the last three seasons. He’ll get a chance to prove he can stick with the New York Islanders after signing a one-year, 600K deal with the team (according to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple).
Here’s a look at the 24-year-old forward’s path in the NHL since the 2012-13 season:
- He managed to strike quick with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 24 points in 35 games.
- Really, though, that just raised his trade value; Conacher was the Ottawa Senators’ best takeaway from a deal that landed Ben Bishop.
- He would only play 12 games for the Senators in 2012-13 and 60 games last season before being placed on waivers.
- The Buffalo Sabres decided to claim him off of waivers in March. He would ultimately produce six points in 19 contests with Buffalo.
- The Sabres decided to pass on qualifying him during this offseason, opening the door for the Islanders to sign Conacher to this deal.
Considering this contract, the ride could very well continue for Conacher.
Still, this could also be a remarkably good match. For all the criticisms Islanders GM Garth Snow receives, he’s developed quite a knack for identifying undervalued talent other teams give up on. Matt Moulson is probably the best example of his fine touch with “scrap heap” options, yet the list is fairly impressive.
Much of Conacher’s success might depend upon where he lands in the Islanders’ lineup. If nothing else, he gets a chance to show that he can stick with a team as an under-sized player.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)