Jul 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Cory Conacher might be too young to be deemed a “journeyman” NHL forward, yet he’s experienced quite the taste of that life during the last three seasons. He’ll get a chance to prove he can stick with the New York Islanders after signing a one-year, 600K deal with the team (according to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple).
Here’s a look at the 24-year-old forward’s path in the NHL since the 2012-13 season:
- He managed to strike quick with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 24 points in 35 games.
- Really, though, that just raised his trade value; Conacher was the Ottawa Senators’ best takeaway from a deal that landed Ben Bishop.
- He would only play 12 games for the Senators in 2012-13 and 60 games last season before being placed on waivers.
- The Buffalo Sabres decided to claim him off of waivers in March. He would ultimately produce six points in 19 contests with Buffalo.
- The Sabres decided to pass on qualifying him during this offseason, opening the door for the Islanders to sign Conacher to this deal.
Considering this contract, the ride could very well continue for Conacher.
Still, this could also be a remarkably good match. For all the criticisms Islanders GM Garth Snow receives, he’s developed quite a knack for identifying undervalued talent other teams give up on. Matt Moulson is probably the best example of his fine touch with “scrap heap” options, yet the list is fairly impressive.
Much of Conacher’s success might depend upon where he lands in the Islanders’ lineup. If nothing else, he gets a chance to show that he can stick with a team as an under-sized player.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)