Jul 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Cory Conacher might be too young to be deemed a “journeyman” NHL forward, yet he’s experienced quite the taste of that life during the last three seasons. He’ll get a chance to prove he can stick with the New York Islanders after signing a one-year, 600K deal with the team (according to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple).
Here’s a look at the 24-year-old forward’s path in the NHL since the 2012-13 season:
- He managed to strike quick with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 24 points in 35 games.
- Really, though, that just raised his trade value; Conacher was the Ottawa Senators’ best takeaway from a deal that landed Ben Bishop.
- He would only play 12 games for the Senators in 2012-13 and 60 games last season before being placed on waivers.
- The Buffalo Sabres decided to claim him off of waivers in March. He would ultimately produce six points in 19 contests with Buffalo.
- The Sabres decided to pass on qualifying him during this offseason, opening the door for the Islanders to sign Conacher to this deal.
Considering this contract, the ride could very well continue for Conacher.
Still, this could also be a remarkably good match. For all the criticisms Islanders GM Garth Snow receives, he’s developed quite a knack for identifying undervalued talent other teams give up on. Matt Moulson is probably the best example of his fine touch with “scrap heap” options, yet the list is fairly impressive.
Much of Conacher’s success might depend upon where he lands in the Islanders’ lineup. If nothing else, he gets a chance to show that he can stick with a team as an under-sized player.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)