Jul 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Cory Conacher might be too young to be deemed a “journeyman” NHL forward, yet he’s experienced quite the taste of that life during the last three seasons. He’ll get a chance to prove he can stick with the New York Islanders after signing a one-year, 600K deal with the team (according to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple).
Here’s a look at the 24-year-old forward’s path in the NHL since the 2012-13 season:
- He managed to strike quick with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 24 points in 35 games.
- Really, though, that just raised his trade value; Conacher was the Ottawa Senators’ best takeaway from a deal that landed Ben Bishop.
- He would only play 12 games for the Senators in 2012-13 and 60 games last season before being placed on waivers.
- The Buffalo Sabres decided to claim him off of waivers in March. He would ultimately produce six points in 19 contests with Buffalo.
- The Sabres decided to pass on qualifying him during this offseason, opening the door for the Islanders to sign Conacher to this deal.
Considering this contract, the ride could very well continue for Conacher.
Still, this could also be a remarkably good match. For all the criticisms Islanders GM Garth Snow receives, he’s developed quite a knack for identifying undervalued talent other teams give up on. Matt Moulson is probably the best example of his fine touch with “scrap heap” options, yet the list is fairly impressive.
Much of Conacher’s success might depend upon where he lands in the Islanders’ lineup. If nothing else, he gets a chance to show that he can stick with a team as an under-sized player.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)