Jul 1, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have signed Manny Malhotra to a one-year deal worth $850,000.
Malhotra’s career was nearly ended by a serious eye injury while he was with the Vancouver Canucks, but the 34-year-old caught on with the Carolina Hurricanes last season and he ended up with seven goals and six assists in 69 games.
For the Habs, Malhotra gives them an experienced center for the bottom six, with the ability to win key defensive-zone faceoffs.
Malhotra told TSN he signed with the Canadiens because he wants “another chance to win” and said it was going to be “a pretty special feeling putting on the red, white and blue” of the Habs.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54