Jul 1, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have signed Manny Malhotra to a one-year deal worth $850,000.
Malhotra’s career was nearly ended by a serious eye injury while he was with the Vancouver Canucks, but the 34-year-old caught on with the Carolina Hurricanes last season and he ended up with seven goals and six assists in 69 games.
For the Habs, Malhotra gives them an experienced center for the bottom six, with the ability to win key defensive-zone faceoffs.
Malhotra told TSN he signed with the Canadiens because he wants “another chance to win” and said it was going to be “a pretty special feeling putting on the red, white and blue” of the Habs.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)