Jul 1, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have signed Manny Malhotra to a one-year deal worth $850,000.
Malhotra’s career was nearly ended by a serious eye injury while he was with the Vancouver Canucks, but the 34-year-old caught on with the Carolina Hurricanes last season and he ended up with seven goals and six assists in 69 games.
For the Habs, Malhotra gives them an experienced center for the bottom six, with the ability to win key defensive-zone faceoffs.
Malhotra told TSN he signed with the Canadiens because he wants “another chance to win” and said it was going to be “a pretty special feeling putting on the red, white and blue” of the Habs.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)