Jul 1, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have signed Manny Malhotra to a one-year deal worth $850,000.
Malhotra’s career was nearly ended by a serious eye injury while he was with the Vancouver Canucks, but the 34-year-old caught on with the Carolina Hurricanes last season and he ended up with seven goals and six assists in 69 games.
For the Habs, Malhotra gives them an experienced center for the bottom six, with the ability to win key defensive-zone faceoffs.
Malhotra told TSN he signed with the Canadiens because he wants “another chance to win” and said it was going to be “a pretty special feeling putting on the red, white and blue” of the Habs.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)