Jul 1, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Josh Gorges didn’t want to go to Toronto, but he’s willing to join the NHL’s worst team from a year ago.
That was the story out of Buffalo on Tuesday, as the Sabres announced they acquired Gorges from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.
The move marks the end of an ugly 24-hour saga involving Gorges, the Habs, the Leafs and, at the last moment, the Sabres. Gorges’ name surfaced yesterday when reports revealed he’d been dangled by Montreal in a proposed move to Toronto, only for Gorges to reject the move as part of his no-trade clause.
“Deeply disappointed” by what transpired, Gorges — signed through 2017-18 for a cap hit of $3.9 million — said he “never wanted to leave Montreal,” adding “in no way has this been my decision.”
With the move, Buffalo gets a heart-and-soul leader type on defense (Gorges served as an alternate captain in Montreal) that brings it closer to the salary cap floor.
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 1
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 18
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 13
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)