Jul 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
The future is (mostly) now for the Anaheim Ducks in net after letting Jonas Hiller walk to the Calgary Flames, but they bought a little bit of veteran insurance on July 1. The team signed journeyman backup Jason LaBarbera to a one-year deal worth $750K.
The 34-year-old netminder bounced around the NHL and AHL a bit last season, but he has 182 games of experience at the top level. It probably doesn’t hurt that he’s spent the majority of his days in the West, either; the Ducks likely got a good idea of what they can expect considering his time with the Los Angeles Kings (2005-06 to 2008-09, before joining Vancouver briefly) and the then-Phoenix Coyotes (2009-10 to 2012-13).
His numbers won’t blow anyone away, but again, the Ducks are making a big investment in younger goalies.
Frederik Andersen appears to be “the man” for now with Hiller and Viktor Fasth out of the picture, although John Gibson probably carries the most hype long-term. Both made their NHL debuts last season, however, so it makes a lot of sense to get a guy who’s been around for a while.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)