Jul 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
The future is (mostly) now for the Anaheim Ducks in net after letting Jonas Hiller walk to the Calgary Flames, but they bought a little bit of veteran insurance on July 1. The team signed journeyman backup Jason LaBarbera to a one-year deal worth $750K.
The 34-year-old netminder bounced around the NHL and AHL a bit last season, but he has 182 games of experience at the top level. It probably doesn’t hurt that he’s spent the majority of his days in the West, either; the Ducks likely got a good idea of what they can expect considering his time with the Los Angeles Kings (2005-06 to 2008-09, before joining Vancouver briefly) and the then-Phoenix Coyotes (2009-10 to 2012-13).
His numbers won’t blow anyone away, but again, the Ducks are making a big investment in younger goalies.
Frederik Andersen appears to be “the man” for now with Hiller and Viktor Fasth out of the picture, although John Gibson probably carries the most hype long-term. Both made their NHL debuts last season, however, so it makes a lot of sense to get a guy who’s been around for a while.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)