Jul 1, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Detroit has agreed to terms with RFA forward Riley Sheahan on a two-year contract extension, the club announced on Tuesday.
Per MLive, the deal is for two years at $1.9 million, good for a $950,000 annual cap hit and a small pay bump Sheahan made annually on his entry-level deal ($900,000 annually with performance and signing bonuses).
The extension is well deserved. Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, jumped into the Red Wings mix midway through last season and made an immediate impact, scoring nine goals and 24 points in 42 games, while averaging 14:27 TOI per night.
The former Notre Dame standout also played a significant role in Detroit’s opening-round playoff loss to Boston, averaging 14:24 per while finishing with nine shots on goal.
Sheahan looks to be a key part of Detroit’s future and — based on how slowly the club has brought along other prospects — appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sheahan turned 20 in December and had just one full year at the AHL level prior to making the NHL leap, but didn’t look out of place while helping the Wings make the postseason.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)