Jul 1, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Detroit has agreed to terms with RFA forward Riley Sheahan on a two-year contract extension, the club announced on Tuesday.
Per MLive, the deal is for two years at $1.9 million, good for a $950,000 annual cap hit and a small pay bump Sheahan made annually on his entry-level deal ($900,000 annually with performance and signing bonuses).
The extension is well deserved. Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, jumped into the Red Wings mix midway through last season and made an immediate impact, scoring nine goals and 24 points in 42 games, while averaging 14:27 TOI per night.
The former Notre Dame standout also played a significant role in Detroit’s opening-round playoff loss to Boston, averaging 14:24 per while finishing with nine shots on goal.
Sheahan looks to be a key part of Detroit’s future and — based on how slowly the club has brought along other prospects — appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sheahan turned 20 in December and had just one full year at the AHL level prior to making the NHL leap, but didn’t look out of place while helping the Wings make the postseason.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)