Jul 1, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Detroit has agreed to terms with RFA forward Riley Sheahan on a two-year contract extension, the club announced on Tuesday.
Per MLive, the deal is for two years at $1.9 million, good for a $950,000 annual cap hit and a small pay bump Sheahan made annually on his entry-level deal ($900,000 annually with performance and signing bonuses).
The extension is well deserved. Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, jumped into the Red Wings mix midway through last season and made an immediate impact, scoring nine goals and 24 points in 42 games, while averaging 14:27 TOI per night.
The former Notre Dame standout also played a significant role in Detroit’s opening-round playoff loss to Boston, averaging 14:24 per while finishing with nine shots on goal.
Sheahan looks to be a key part of Detroit’s future and — based on how slowly the club has brought along other prospects — appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sheahan turned 20 in December and had just one full year at the AHL level prior to making the NHL leap, but didn’t look out of place while helping the Wings make the postseason.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)