Jul 1, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Detroit has agreed to terms with RFA forward Riley Sheahan on a two-year contract extension, the club announced on Tuesday.
Per MLive, the deal is for two years at $1.9 million, good for a $950,000 annual cap hit and a small pay bump Sheahan made annually on his entry-level deal ($900,000 annually with performance and signing bonuses).
The extension is well deserved. Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick (21st overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, jumped into the Red Wings mix midway through last season and made an immediate impact, scoring nine goals and 24 points in 42 games, while averaging 14:27 TOI per night.
The former Notre Dame standout also played a significant role in Detroit’s opening-round playoff loss to Boston, averaging 14:24 per while finishing with nine shots on goal.
Sheahan looks to be a key part of Detroit’s future and — based on how slowly the club has brought along other prospects — appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sheahan turned 20 in December and had just one full year at the AHL level prior to making the NHL leap, but didn’t look out of place while helping the Wings make the postseason.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 32
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)