Jul 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
Jarome Iginla is headed back to the Western Conference, and joining one of it’s most exciting young teams.
The veteran winger has inked a three-year, $16 million deal with the Colorado Avlanche, per various outlets. It’s a big paycheck and a fairly significant cap hit ($5.3 million) for the 37-year-old, but one Iginla more than earned after leading Boston with 30 goals last year.
The Bruins wanted Iginla back, but conceded they were out of the running in the days leading up to free agency, as their current cap situation prevented Iggy returning for a second season.
In Colorado, Iginla joins a talented, youthful squad with plenty of weapons up front — Calder winners Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan McKinnon, Canadian Olympic center Matt Duchene and excellent two-way forward Ryan O’Reilly. Iginla also becomes the oldest player on the active roster, though the Avs did pick up some additional experience yesterday in acquiring forward Daniel Briere in exchange for P.A. Parenteau.
It’s probably worth noting Iginla is only 11 years younger than his new head coach — 48-year-old Patrick Roy, who won the Jack Adams this year as the NHL’s top bench boss.
Also worth noting? This move will reunite Iginla with ex-Flames teammate Alex Tanguay, who got off to a nice start with the Avs last season before suffering a knee injury that shut him down for the year. The two played on Caglary’s top line together in 2010, centered by current UFA Olli Jokinen.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)