Jul 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Welcome to the next chapter of the great Vancouver goaltending saga. The Canucks have signed Ryan Miller to a three-year, $18 million contract.
Miller had a respectable .918 save percentage last season while playing for both Buffalo and St. Louis, but the 33-year-old was a disappointment after being traded mid-season to the Stanley Cup-hopeful Blues.
Clearly, though, new Canucks general manager Jim Benning felt that adding a veteran netminder was a necessity and that Vancouver could not go into next season with the inexperienced duo of Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom, the latter of whom was acquired from Florida in the Roberto Luongo trade.
If Lack is Miller’s backup next season, the Canucks may look to deal Markstrom during the summer instead of risking losing him to waivers upon being sent to the AHL. The Canucks drafted a highly rated goalie, Thatcher Demko, on Saturday, so one has to wonder where Markstrom, 24, fits into the club’s long-term plans.
As for Miller? Welcome to Vancouver, where goalies from Dan Cloutier to Luongo to Cory Schneider have come and gone, none of them leaving with a Stanley Cup ring.
But Vancouver was also the site of the 2010 Olympics, where Miller shone in goal for Team USA. That same season he won the Vezina Trophy.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)