Jul 1, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Carolina has been largely quiet today, but made a somewhat significant move in bringing back winger Jiri Tlusty on a one-year, $2.95 million deal.
Tlusty, 26, has been one of the better values in the league over the last two years — playing at a $1.6 million cap hit, he racked up 23 goals and 38 points during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, while he failed to produce at that clip this year, still finished with 16 goals and 30 points in 68 games.
Having shown good chemistry on a line with captain Eric Staal and Alexander Semin, Tlusty could be in line for a more productive ’14-15 campaign provided he and his linemates can stay healthy. Tlusty missed a good chunk of time last year to injury while Semin missed 12 games with a concussion and a handful of games down the stretch with a wrist injury, which he underwent surgery on this summer.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)