Jul 1, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Carolina has been largely quiet today, but made a somewhat significant move in bringing back winger Jiri Tlusty on a one-year, $2.95 million deal.
Tlusty, 26, has been one of the better values in the league over the last two years — playing at a $1.6 million cap hit, he racked up 23 goals and 38 points during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, while he failed to produce at that clip this year, still finished with 16 goals and 30 points in 68 games.
Having shown good chemistry on a line with captain Eric Staal and Alexander Semin, Tlusty could be in line for a more productive ’14-15 campaign provided he and his linemates can stay healthy. Tlusty missed a good chunk of time last year to injury while Semin missed 12 games with a concussion and a handful of games down the stretch with a wrist injury, which he underwent surgery on this summer.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6