Jul 1, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
Carolina has been largely quiet today, but made a somewhat significant move in bringing back winger Jiri Tlusty on a one-year, $2.95 million deal.
Tlusty, 26, has been one of the better values in the league over the last two years — playing at a $1.6 million cap hit, he racked up 23 goals and 38 points during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, while he failed to produce at that clip this year, still finished with 16 goals and 30 points in 68 games.
Having shown good chemistry on a line with captain Eric Staal and Alexander Semin, Tlusty could be in line for a more productive ’14-15 campaign provided he and his linemates can stay healthy. Tlusty missed a good chunk of time last year to injury while Semin missed 12 games with a concussion and a handful of games down the stretch with a wrist injury, which he underwent surgery on this summer.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)