Jul 1, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are going to be hot after a defenseman when free agency opens at noon ET, but one they won’t be after is Christian Ehrhoff.
Ansar Khan of MLive reports the Red Wings are still in on Matt Niskanen and Dan Boyle — two right-shooting d-men — but out on Ehrhoff, a lefty, as the former Buffalo Sabres blue-liner is seeking a five-year deal. Detroit was apparently only willing to go three years for the 31-year-old German.
Detroit is looking to add a top-four defenseman as they’re letting Kyle Quincey go to market. With a top pairing consisting of Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson, the Wings need help as they have Jakub Kindl, Brendan Smith, and Brian Lashoff under contract for next season. Danny DeKeyser is a restricted free agent.
One way or another the Wings will be adding to the blue line, but chasing after 27-year-old Niskanen means they’ll have to cough up big money and term to land him in what’s going to be a very competitive market. Boyle makes for a good option, but at almost 38 years old there are questions about how much he’s got left in the tank.
The fun subplot here? Detroit’s stiffest competition for both players comes from the Tampa Bay Lightning and GM Steve Yzerman.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41