Jun 30, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
T.J. Brennan was the AHL’s defenseman of the year in 2013-14. Just 25 years old, he led the Toronto Marlies with 72 points (25G, 47A) during the regular season, then added 14 more points in 14 playoff games.
Yet according to the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, the Maple Leafs merely have “some interest” in re-signing the pending unrestricted free agent.
So…what gives? How has such a prolific AHL scorer been unable to crack an NHL roster? How has he already been traded twice, first by the Buffalo Sabres to Florida, then by the Panthers to the Leafs?
The easy answer is, despite his obvious offensive ability, he’s not very good in his own end. Think Marc-Andre Bergeron. Or Yannick Weber.
But that’s not the answer Marlies coach Steve Spott gave.
“I have no problems with his defensive game,” Spott said in May. “All he needs is for someone to open the door for him.”
After the season he had in the minors, Brennan will be hungrier than ever for a shot in the NHL, so he’s probably going to be looking for a one-way deal. Or, at the very least, some assurances he’ll get a shot to make the big club.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)