Jun 30, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman certainly did make Sunday a night to rest.
The Bolts added yet another trade to the mix tonight, as they sent forward Nate Thompson to Anaheim for the Ducks’ fourth and seventh-round picks in 2015.
Here’s a quick rundown of how different the Lightning look after today’s dealings:
No longer with the Lightning:
Thompson (now in Anaheim)
Sam Gagner (briefly in Tampa Bay, now in Arizona)
B.J. Crombeen (also in Arizona)
Ted Purcell (went to Edmonton in the trade that briefly made Gagner a member of the Lightning)
$1.6 million of Gagner’s salary
The Lightning receive the following picks:
Anaheim’s selections in the fourth and seventh-round
The Coyotes’ sixth-round pick
Tampa Bay receives cap relief:
When all the smoke clears, Cap Geek estimates that the Lightning end up with a little bit less than $8 million of cap space. They also bulked up on later-round picks, obviously.
So, the Lightning parted ways with Nate “Boucher” Thompson, whose apple-of-Guy-Boucher’s-eye status probably doesn’t mean a whole lot to relatively new Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper.
It’s plausible that the Lightning merely believe that their impressive set of young forwards will make the difference in all these personnel moves. Still, the far more interesting question is: which player(s) might the Lightning be targeting with this extra cap space?
It could be as fun to find out as it was strange to observe Sunday’s stream of events.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)