Jun 30, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman certainly did make Sunday a night to rest.
The Bolts added yet another trade to the mix tonight, as they sent forward Nate Thompson to Anaheim for the Ducks’ fourth and seventh-round picks in 2015.
Here’s a quick rundown of how different the Lightning look after today’s dealings:
No longer with the Lightning:
Thompson (now in Anaheim)
Sam Gagner (briefly in Tampa Bay, now in Arizona)
B.J. Crombeen (also in Arizona)
Ted Purcell (went to Edmonton in the trade that briefly made Gagner a member of the Lightning)
$1.6 million of Gagner’s salary
The Lightning receive the following picks:
Anaheim’s selections in the fourth and seventh-round
The Coyotes’ sixth-round pick
Tampa Bay receives cap relief:
When all the smoke clears, Cap Geek estimates that the Lightning end up with a little bit less than $8 million of cap space. They also bulked up on later-round picks, obviously.
So, the Lightning parted ways with Nate “Boucher” Thompson, whose apple-of-Guy-Boucher’s-eye status probably doesn’t mean a whole lot to relatively new Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper.
It’s plausible that the Lightning merely believe that their impressive set of young forwards will make the difference in all these personnel moves. Still, the far more interesting question is: which player(s) might the Lightning be targeting with this extra cap space?
It could be as fun to find out as it was strange to observe Sunday’s stream of events.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)