Jun 30, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman certainly did make Sunday a night to rest.
The Bolts added yet another trade to the mix tonight, as they sent forward Nate Thompson to Anaheim for the Ducks’ fourth and seventh-round picks in 2015.
Here’s a quick rundown of how different the Lightning look after today’s dealings:
No longer with the Lightning:
Thompson (now in Anaheim)
Sam Gagner (briefly in Tampa Bay, now in Arizona)
B.J. Crombeen (also in Arizona)
Ted Purcell (went to Edmonton in the trade that briefly made Gagner a member of the Lightning)
$1.6 million of Gagner’s salary
The Lightning receive the following picks:
Anaheim’s selections in the fourth and seventh-round
The Coyotes’ sixth-round pick
Tampa Bay receives cap relief:
When all the smoke clears, Cap Geek estimates that the Lightning end up with a little bit less than $8 million of cap space. They also bulked up on later-round picks, obviously.
So, the Lightning parted ways with Nate “Boucher” Thompson, whose apple-of-Guy-Boucher’s-eye status probably doesn’t mean a whole lot to relatively new Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper.
It’s plausible that the Lightning merely believe that their impressive set of young forwards will make the difference in all these personnel moves. Still, the far more interesting question is: which player(s) might the Lightning be targeting with this extra cap space?
It could be as fun to find out as it was strange to observe Sunday’s stream of events.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11