Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 PM EST
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum, the club’s first-round pick (30th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has agreed to rejoin the Wings on a one-year, two-way deal, per MLive. GM Ken Holland is still working out the financials with McCollum’s representation but confirmed the goalie would be back, pointing to a successful campaign with AHL Grand Rapids as the reason why.
“McCollum has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be — a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender,” Holland explained. “Some players bloom a little later.”
The second goalie off the board in ’08 — taken ahead of Vancouver”s Jacob Markstrom and St. Louis’ Jake Allen — McCollum looked to be a bust during his first few professional seasons but turned things around in 2013, setting career bests in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (two).
While he failed to make an impact in the Griffins’ Calder Cup win — Petr Mrazek carried the mail — McCollum returned this year and posted equally solid numbers: 24-12-4, 2.30 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)