Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum, the club’s first-round pick (30th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has agreed to rejoin the Wings on a one-year, two-way deal, per MLive. GM Ken Holland is still working out the financials with McCollum’s representation but confirmed the goalie would be back, pointing to a successful campaign with AHL Grand Rapids as the reason why.
“McCollum has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be — a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender,” Holland explained. “Some players bloom a little later.”
The second goalie off the board in ’08 — taken ahead of Vancouver”s Jacob Markstrom and St. Louis’ Jake Allen — McCollum looked to be a bust during his first few professional seasons but turned things around in 2013, setting career bests in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (two).
While he failed to make an impact in the Griffins’ Calder Cup win — Petr Mrazek carried the mail — McCollum returned this year and posted equally solid numbers: 24-12-4, 2.30 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)