Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum, the club’s first-round pick (30th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has agreed to rejoin the Wings on a one-year, two-way deal, per MLive. GM Ken Holland is still working out the financials with McCollum’s representation but confirmed the goalie would be back, pointing to a successful campaign with AHL Grand Rapids as the reason why.
“McCollum has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be — a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender,” Holland explained. “Some players bloom a little later.”
The second goalie off the board in ’08 — taken ahead of Vancouver”s Jacob Markstrom and St. Louis’ Jake Allen — McCollum looked to be a bust during his first few professional seasons but turned things around in 2013, setting career bests in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (two).
While he failed to make an impact in the Griffins’ Calder Cup win — Petr Mrazek carried the mail — McCollum returned this year and posted equally solid numbers: 24-12-4, 2.30 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 42
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)