Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum, the club’s first-round pick (30th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has agreed to rejoin the Wings on a one-year, two-way deal, per MLive. GM Ken Holland is still working out the financials with McCollum’s representation but confirmed the goalie would be back, pointing to a successful campaign with AHL Grand Rapids as the reason why.
“McCollum has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be — a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender,” Holland explained. “Some players bloom a little later.”
The second goalie off the board in ’08 — taken ahead of Vancouver”s Jacob Markstrom and St. Louis’ Jake Allen — McCollum looked to be a bust during his first few professional seasons but turned things around in 2013, setting career bests in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (two).
While he failed to make an impact in the Griffins’ Calder Cup win — Petr Mrazek carried the mail — McCollum returned this year and posted equally solid numbers: 24-12-4, 2.30 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)