Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum, the club’s first-round pick (30th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has agreed to rejoin the Wings on a one-year, two-way deal, per MLive. GM Ken Holland is still working out the financials with McCollum’s representation but confirmed the goalie would be back, pointing to a successful campaign with AHL Grand Rapids as the reason why.
“McCollum has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be — a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender,” Holland explained. “Some players bloom a little later.”
The second goalie off the board in ’08 — taken ahead of Vancouver”s Jacob Markstrom and St. Louis’ Jake Allen — McCollum looked to be a bust during his first few professional seasons but turned things around in 2013, setting career bests in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (two).
While he failed to make an impact in the Griffins’ Calder Cup win — Petr Mrazek carried the mail — McCollum returned this year and posted equally solid numbers: 24-12-4, 2.30 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)