Jun 30, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The chase to acquire Jason Spezza may not have a crowded field of possibilities.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are the two teams interested in dealing for the Ottawa Senators captain. The list of teams after Spezza had been as many as four as recently as last week.
Spezza asked for a trade from the team and has a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a deal with. One of those teams was the Nashville Predators and Sens GM Bryan Murray made it known during NHL Draft weekend he had a deal in place to send him there only to have Spezza refuse it.
Aside from that nixed trade, Murray hasn’t been enthralled with the offers he’s received. Now that the field is down to St. Louis and Dallas, both of whom are also chasing potential free agent Paul Stastny, offers may not improve until after the start of free agency on Tuesday.
The Sens have to hope for those teams to miss out on Stastny and their desperation for a top center makes the offers more to their liking. Murray has said if none of the offers make sense he’ll hang on to Spezza, but at this point, that won’t be very comfortable for either player or team.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22