Jun 30, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The chase to acquire Jason Spezza may not have a crowded field of possibilities.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are the two teams interested in dealing for the Ottawa Senators captain. The list of teams after Spezza had been as many as four as recently as last week.
Spezza asked for a trade from the team and has a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a deal with. One of those teams was the Nashville Predators and Sens GM Bryan Murray made it known during NHL Draft weekend he had a deal in place to send him there only to have Spezza refuse it.
Aside from that nixed trade, Murray hasn’t been enthralled with the offers he’s received. Now that the field is down to St. Louis and Dallas, both of whom are also chasing potential free agent Paul Stastny, offers may not improve until after the start of free agency on Tuesday.
The Sens have to hope for those teams to miss out on Stastny and their desperation for a top center makes the offers more to their liking. Murray has said if none of the offers make sense he’ll hang on to Spezza, but at this point, that won’t be very comfortable for either player or team.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)