Jun 30, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The chase to acquire Jason Spezza may not have a crowded field of possibilities.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are the two teams interested in dealing for the Ottawa Senators captain. The list of teams after Spezza had been as many as four as recently as last week.
Spezza asked for a trade from the team and has a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a deal with. One of those teams was the Nashville Predators and Sens GM Bryan Murray made it known during NHL Draft weekend he had a deal in place to send him there only to have Spezza refuse it.
Aside from that nixed trade, Murray hasn’t been enthralled with the offers he’s received. Now that the field is down to St. Louis and Dallas, both of whom are also chasing potential free agent Paul Stastny, offers may not improve until after the start of free agency on Tuesday.
The Sens have to hope for those teams to miss out on Stastny and their desperation for a top center makes the offers more to their liking. Murray has said if none of the offers make sense he’ll hang on to Spezza, but at this point, that won’t be very comfortable for either player or team.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)