Jun 30, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
The chase to acquire Jason Spezza may not have a crowded field of possibilities.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are the two teams interested in dealing for the Ottawa Senators captain. The list of teams after Spezza had been as many as four as recently as last week.
Spezza asked for a trade from the team and has a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a deal with. One of those teams was the Nashville Predators and Sens GM Bryan Murray made it known during NHL Draft weekend he had a deal in place to send him there only to have Spezza refuse it.
Aside from that nixed trade, Murray hasn’t been enthralled with the offers he’s received. Now that the field is down to St. Louis and Dallas, both of whom are also chasing potential free agent Paul Stastny, offers may not improve until after the start of free agency on Tuesday.
The Sens have to hope for those teams to miss out on Stastny and their desperation for a top center makes the offers more to their liking. Murray has said if none of the offers make sense he’ll hang on to Spezza, but at this point, that won’t be very comfortable for either player or team.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)