Jun 30, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The chase to acquire Jason Spezza may not have a crowded field of possibilities.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are the two teams interested in dealing for the Ottawa Senators captain. The list of teams after Spezza had been as many as four as recently as last week.
Spezza asked for a trade from the team and has a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a deal with. One of those teams was the Nashville Predators and Sens GM Bryan Murray made it known during NHL Draft weekend he had a deal in place to send him there only to have Spezza refuse it.
Aside from that nixed trade, Murray hasn’t been enthralled with the offers he’s received. Now that the field is down to St. Louis and Dallas, both of whom are also chasing potential free agent Paul Stastny, offers may not improve until after the start of free agency on Tuesday.
The Sens have to hope for those teams to miss out on Stastny and their desperation for a top center makes the offers more to their liking. Murray has said if none of the offers make sense he’ll hang on to Spezza, but at this point, that won’t be very comfortable for either player or team.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)