Jun 30, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
David Poile needs a top center to skate with newly acquired winger James Neal. He knows it. Everyone knows it. It’s just not clear how — or if — he’ll be able to do it.
Tomorrow, Poile will try again when the free-agent frenzy begins. And despite Nashville’s well-known financial constraints, he says he’s got the budget to play the game.
In fact, Poile can’t afford not to. Not after hiring Peter Laviolette to coach a more up-tempo, offensive-oriented system. And not after selling Neal on the new, “fun way to play” Preds.
“Things are changing here,” Neal said today on a conference call. “We’re going to be a more offensive team. I’ve talked to coach Laviolette. Nothing but a bright future ahead.”
So, who could Poile go out and get?
The biggest-name center that’s expected to test the market is, of course, Colorardo’s Paul Stastny. However, one would think the Preds would really have to knock Stastny’s socks off, financially speaking, to get him. After all, Stastny has no strong desire to leave Denver, and even if he can’t get a deal done with the Avs, there will be plenty of other suitors for his services. Like the Blackhawks. Would the 28-year-old take less to play for a proven contender like Chicago? If you haven’t heard, the ‘Hawks are in need of a second-line center. And unfortunately for Poile, “come to Nashville and win a Stanley Cup” isn’t a sales pitch he can use. Not like the ‘Hawks could, at least.
Or, to put it another way, a guy the Leafs bought out, a guy the Rangers bought out, a guy the Coyotes bought out, and a guy the Ducks didn’t qualify.
Take your pick.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)