Jun 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Willie Mitchell has spoken.
The 37-year-old defenseman, fresh off winning his second Stanley Cup in three years with the L.A. Kings, was informed only a few days ago that the club will not be re-signing him, choosing to go in a different direction.
Mitchell spent the last four years in L.A., but only played in three of those seasons. He missed the entire lockout campaign due to injury but returned to the Kings this season, playing in 76 games, then in 18 during their spring run that culminated with another championship.
His two-year contract, worth $3.5 million a season, as per Capgeek.com, expires and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.
“It was a little tough to take,” Mitchell told the L.A. Times. “It’s like one of those girlfriends you had before you got married who just kind of rejected you.
“I get the business side of it too. It’s probably better to go in a new direction to where they’re excited to have you. I told him, it’s not about what I want. It’s about you guys wanting me. And if you don’t want me, I don’t want to be here.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)