Jun 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Willie Mitchell has spoken.
The 37-year-old defenseman, fresh off winning his second Stanley Cup in three years with the L.A. Kings, was informed only a few days ago that the club will not be re-signing him, choosing to go in a different direction.
Mitchell spent the last four years in L.A., but only played in three of those seasons. He missed the entire lockout campaign due to injury but returned to the Kings this season, playing in 76 games, then in 18 during their spring run that culminated with another championship.
His two-year contract, worth $3.5 million a season, as per Capgeek.com, expires and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.
“It was a little tough to take,” Mitchell told the L.A. Times. “It’s like one of those girlfriends you had before you got married who just kind of rejected you.
“I get the business side of it too. It’s probably better to go in a new direction to where they’re excited to have you. I told him, it’s not about what I want. It’s about you guys wanting me. And if you don’t want me, I don’t want to be here.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 58
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (143)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)