Jun 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Willie Mitchell has spoken.
The 37-year-old defenseman, fresh off winning his second Stanley Cup in three years with the L.A. Kings, was informed only a few days ago that the club will not be re-signing him, choosing to go in a different direction.
Mitchell spent the last four years in L.A., but only played in three of those seasons. He missed the entire lockout campaign due to injury but returned to the Kings this season, playing in 76 games, then in 18 during their spring run that culminated with another championship.
His two-year contract, worth $3.5 million a season, as per Capgeek.com, expires and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.
“It was a little tough to take,” Mitchell told the L.A. Times. “It’s like one of those girlfriends you had before you got married who just kind of rejected you.
“I get the business side of it too. It’s probably better to go in a new direction to where they’re excited to have you. I told him, it’s not about what I want. It’s about you guys wanting me. And if you don’t want me, I don’t want to be here.”
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)