Jun 30, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Upon being acquired by his hometown Calgary Flames last July, T.J. Galiardi referred to the move as a “dream.”
Twelve months later…well, the situation is far less dreamy.
The Flames didn’t make Galiardi a qualifying offer on Monday, essentially ending his stint in Calgary after just one year on the job. Calgary also parted ways with center and fellow RFA Paul Byron, who posted a career-high 21 points in 47 games last year.
Galiardi, though, is by far the biggest name and one of the most experienced RFAs not to earn a qualifying offer. While he’s somewhat removed from his banner 2009-10 campaign — in his first full NHL season, Galiardi posted 15 goals and 39 points in 70 games for Colorado — the former WHL Calgary standout has 283 regular season and 20 playoff games on his resume, and over 100 career points.
Galiardi did make $1.25 million last season, though, and wasn’t a favorite of head coach Bob Hartley, often sitting as a healthy scratch. So it’s not really surprising Calgary opted to go in a different direction.
As for Byron, the 25-year-old never found a fit in Calgary, splitting most of the last three seasons between the big club and AHL Abbotsford. One of the smallest players in the NHL — 5-foot-7, 153 pounds — Byron will have a chance to catch on somewhere else tomorrow, when he becomes a UFA.
Other Flames not receiving qualifying offers today included David Eddy, James Martin, and Olivier Roy.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)