Jun 30, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
It was not a good year for Michael Del Zotto. As a result, the 24-year-old defenseman will become an unrestricted free agent after the Nashville Predators decided against giving him a qualifying offer.
Del Zotto started the season with the New York Rangers. However, not too long after his new coach, Alain Vigneault, openly wondered about the player he’d been told was “much better,” Del Zotto was traded to Nashville.
Unfortunately for Del Zotto, it didn’t take long to wander into another coach’s doghouse. This time, it was Barry Trotz’s.
Fast forward to the offseason and, according to Predators GM David Poile, Del Zotto was simply “not a fit” in Nashville.
Del Zotto’s best NHL season came in 2011-12, when he scored 41 points for the Rangers. He also had a strong rookie campaign in 2009-10, when he had 37 points and earned a few Calder Trophy votes.
His expiring contract paid him $5.1 million over two years, for a cap hit of $2.55 million.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)