Jun 30, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
It was not a good year for Michael Del Zotto. As a result, the 24-year-old defenseman will become an unrestricted free agent after the Nashville Predators decided against giving him a qualifying offer.
Del Zotto started the season with the New York Rangers. However, not too long after his new coach, Alain Vigneault, openly wondered about the player he’d been told was “much better,” Del Zotto was traded to Nashville.
Unfortunately for Del Zotto, it didn’t take long to wander into another coach’s doghouse. This time, it was Barry Trotz’s.
Fast forward to the offseason and, according to Predators GM David Poile, Del Zotto was simply “not a fit” in Nashville.
Del Zotto’s best NHL season came in 2011-12, when he scored 41 points for the Rangers. He also had a strong rookie campaign in 2009-10, when he had 37 points and earned a few Calder Trophy votes.
His expiring contract paid him $5.1 million over two years, for a cap hit of $2.55 million.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)