Jun 29, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
We’d heard all about how Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon was listening intently for offers on the first overall pick at the 2014 Draft. What we didn’t know was who was in talks with him to move up.
According to ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun, the team that made the most aggressive push to deal with the Panthers were their in-state rival the Tampa Bay Lightning.
LeBrun said both Philadelphia and Vancouver made strong pitches, but it was Steve Yzerman who made Tallon think the most about dealing. Tallon ultimately kept the pick and selected Aaron Ekblad. You have to think that’s who Yzerman was aiming to take as well.
While Lightning-Panthers doesn’t stand out as as big a rivalry as Rangers-Islanders or Bruins-Canadiens, they’re still rivals and are also divisional foes. You have to imagine Tallon wasn’t too keen on making a deal with a team he sees so often and competes in the same state.
Still, you have to wonder just what did Yzerman offer up for the selection.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)