Jun 29, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
Ed Jovanovski‘s time with the Florida Panthers is at an end.
George Richards of the Miami Herald reports the team has put Jovanovski, 38, on waivers for the purpose of buying him out. He has one year left on his contract worth $4.125 million against the cap.
Richards adds the team will likely use a compliance buyout so as to not have his cap hit against their payroll. The Panthers have two compliance buyouts to use.
Jovanovski’s history with the Panthers is long. He was the franchise’s No. 1 overall pick in 1994 and in his rookie season helped lead the Panthers to the Stanley Cup Final against the Colorado Avalanche. He played two different stints with the team over six-and-a-half seasons of his 18 NHL seasons.
At his age and after the production he had last season, you have to wonder if this might be it for “Jovocop.” After spending time in Vancouver and Phoenix as well as Florida, he’s seen a lot of action and had a miraculous comeback from a hip injury that nearly ended his career.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)