Jun 29, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Ed Jovanovski‘s time with the Florida Panthers is at an end.
George Richards of the Miami Herald reports the team has put Jovanovski, 38, on waivers for the purpose of buying him out. He has one year left on his contract worth $4.125 million against the cap.
Richards adds the team will likely use a compliance buyout so as to not have his cap hit against their payroll. The Panthers have two compliance buyouts to use.
Jovanovski’s history with the Panthers is long. He was the franchise’s No. 1 overall pick in 1994 and in his rookie season helped lead the Panthers to the Stanley Cup Final against the Colorado Avalanche. He played two different stints with the team over six-and-a-half seasons of his 18 NHL seasons.
At his age and after the production he had last season, you have to wonder if this might be it for “Jovocop.” After spending time in Vancouver and Phoenix as well as Florida, he’s seen a lot of action and had a miraculous comeback from a hip injury that nearly ended his career.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)