Jun 29, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
On face value, the trade is interesting enough on its own: the Edmonton Oilers sent center Sam Gagner to the Tampa Bay Lightning for winger Ted Purcell on Sunday. That much we knew for sure when it happened.
Immediately after the move was announced, the scuttlebutt began about the Lightning buying Gagner out on Monday. As it turns out, Gagner was instead flipped with B.J. Crombeen to the Arizona Coyotes for cap space and a sixth-rounder.
As dramatic as the situation is for the Lightning, the Oilers have some questions to answer regarding how Purcell, 28, will fit into the mix and how they’ll replace Gagner, 24, in the lineup:
It was certainly an odd series of events, but ultimately, the Oilers swapped forwards, the Coyotes replaced Mike Ribeiro and the Lightning opened up money or at least made their situation more flexible. Everyone basically wins, right?
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 0
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 41
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)