Jun 29, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Well, that didn’t take long.
At first it seemed like the Tampa Bay Lightning traded Ted Purcell for Sam Gagner to possibly buy the Edmonton forward out. The more sensible thing (considering Ted Purcell’s comparable contract), was to move Gagner via another trade — and that’s exactly what happened, as the Bolts sent him to the Arizona Coyotes on Sunday.
Here are the particulars of the deal, via Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan:
Update: Per ESPN, Tampa Bay will retain one-third of Gagner’s salary ($1.6 million) in the deal.
With the move, the Lightning have cleared considerable cap space to work with when free agent frenzy opens on July 1, or in a trade. It seems likely the Bolts will target a blueliner — the defense needs help and it only has one right-handed shot under contract for next season in Radko Gudas. Tampa Bay was rumored to be interested in going after veteran righty Dan Boyle, but could also now get involved in the Matt Niskanen sweepstakes.
For Arizona, the club gets a potential top-line center in Gagner to replace the outgoing Mike Ribeiro, who on Friday was bought out of the remaining three years of his contract.
Now that we’ve settled the broader particulars, let’s delight in some of the jokes from this odd scene:
Circling back: We know that Gagner is now a member of the Arizona Coyotes and Purcell is with the Edmonton Oilers. Meanwhile, the Lightning save some money.
Everyone good now?
*Takes a breath*
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 7
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)