Jun 29, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
At first it seemed like the Tampa Bay Lightning traded Ted Purcell for Sam Gagner to possibly buy the Edmonton forward out. The more sensible thing (considering Ted Purcell’s comparable contract), was to move Gagner via another trade — and that’s exactly what happened, as the Bolts sent him to the Arizona Coyotes on Sunday.
Here are the particulars of the deal, via Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan:
Update: Per ESPN, Tampa Bay will retain one-third of Gagner’s salary ($1.6 million) in the deal.
With the move, the Lightning have cleared considerable cap space to work with when free agent frenzy opens on July 1, or in a trade. It seems likely the Bolts will target a blueliner — the defense needs help and it only has one right-handed shot under contract for next season in Radko Gudas. Tampa Bay was rumored to be interested in going after veteran righty Dan Boyle, but could also now get involved in the Matt Niskanen sweepstakes.
For Arizona, the club gets a potential top-line center in Gagner to replace the outgoing Mike Ribeiro, who on Friday was bought out of the remaining three years of his contract.
Now that we’ve settled the broader particulars, let’s delight in some of the jokes from this odd scene:
Circling back: We know that Gagner is now a member of the Arizona Coyotes and Purcell is with the Edmonton Oilers. Meanwhile, the Lightning save some money.
Everyone good now?
*Takes a breath*
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (63)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)