Jun 29, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Well, that didn’t take long.
At first it seemed like the Tampa Bay Lightning traded Ted Purcell for Sam Gagner to possibly buy the Edmonton forward out. The more sensible thing (considering Ted Purcell’s comparable contract), was to move Gagner via another trade — and that’s exactly what happened, as the Bolts sent him to the Arizona Coyotes on Sunday.
Here are the particulars of the deal, via Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan:
Update: Per ESPN, Tampa Bay will retain one-third of Gagner’s salary ($1.6 million) in the deal.
With the move, the Lightning have cleared considerable cap space to work with when free agent frenzy opens on July 1, or in a trade. It seems likely the Bolts will target a blueliner — the defense needs help and it only has one right-handed shot under contract for next season in Radko Gudas. Tampa Bay was rumored to be interested in going after veteran righty Dan Boyle, but could also now get involved in the Matt Niskanen sweepstakes.
For Arizona, the club gets a potential top-line center in Gagner to replace the outgoing Mike Ribeiro, who on Friday was bought out of the remaining three years of his contract.
Now that we’ve settled the broader particulars, let’s delight in some of the jokes from this odd scene:
Circling back: We know that Gagner is now a member of the Arizona Coyotes and Purcell is with the Edmonton Oilers. Meanwhile, the Lightning save some money.
Everyone good now?
*Takes a breath*
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)