Jun 29, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes may have been trying to find a way to move Cam Ward, but their plan for next season has him involved.
Ward has battled injuries and has a juicy contract that pays him $6.3 million against the salary cap over the next three seasons, but according to Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, he’ll be splitting the net with Anton Khudobin.
Carolina’s third goalie last season, Justin Peters, is set to be a free agent this summer. Making the Ward/Khudobin split awkward is Ward’s history with the Hurricanes and Khudobin outperforming him in a big way last season. Ward was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as he helped lead Carolina to the Stanley Cup in 2006.
Last season it appeared now former head coach Kirk Muller favored Khudobin and for good reason as he had a .926 save percentage compared to Ward’s .898 and Peters’ .919. With Peters on his way out, Ward will have to work hard to reestablish himself in goal to new head coach Bill Peters.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)