Jun 29, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes may have been trying to find a way to move Cam Ward, but their plan for next season has him involved.
Ward has battled injuries and has a juicy contract that pays him $6.3 million against the salary cap over the next three seasons, but according to Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, he’ll be splitting the net with Anton Khudobin.
Carolina’s third goalie last season, Justin Peters, is set to be a free agent this summer. Making the Ward/Khudobin split awkward is Ward’s history with the Hurricanes and Khudobin outperforming him in a big way last season. Ward was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as he helped lead Carolina to the Stanley Cup in 2006.
Last season it appeared now former head coach Kirk Muller favored Khudobin and for good reason as he had a .926 save percentage compared to Ward’s .898 and Peters’ .919. With Peters on his way out, Ward will have to work hard to reestablish himself in goal to new head coach Bill Peters.
Francis said the "plan" was to go into next season with Khudobin, Ward as the Canes' two goalies.—
Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) June 28, 2014
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)