Jun 29, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Many fans and media have been proclaiming the Anaheim Ducks the winner of the trade that sent Ryan Kesler to Southern California, but new Canucks forward Nick Bonino is hoping he can be a difference maker.
One of the criticisms of Bonino’s game has been his skating ability but, as Ben Kuzma of The Province shared, he’s hoping to make up for what he might lack with other skills.
“I think all my life I would say I’ve never been a bad skater, but some guys skate real well and I’ve been one of those guys who gets by with his head and his hands,” said Bonino. “Trying to make plays, being responsible — that’s what I’ll keep trying to do.”
Bonino, 26, had a career-year in Anaheim last season with 22 goals and 49 points. The big question surrounding him is whether it was a one-year flash-in-the-pan season or a true indication of what he can do if given more opportunity.
At the very least he’ll be making good use of his Boston University education and trying to outsmart opponents on the ice. Having a brain for the game can get you far.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)