Jun 29, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Many fans and media have been proclaiming the Anaheim Ducks the winner of the trade that sent Ryan Kesler to Southern California, but new Canucks forward Nick Bonino is hoping he can be a difference maker.
One of the criticisms of Bonino’s game has been his skating ability but, as Ben Kuzma of The Province shared, he’s hoping to make up for what he might lack with other skills.
“I think all my life I would say I’ve never been a bad skater, but some guys skate real well and I’ve been one of those guys who gets by with his head and his hands,” said Bonino. “Trying to make plays, being responsible — that’s what I’ll keep trying to do.”
Bonino, 26, had a career-year in Anaheim last season with 22 goals and 49 points. The big question surrounding him is whether it was a one-year flash-in-the-pan season or a true indication of what he can do if given more opportunity.
At the very least he’ll be making good use of his Boston University education and trying to outsmart opponents on the ice. Having a brain for the game can get you far.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)