Jun 29, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
If Jarome Iginla doesn’t re-sign with the Boston Bruins, he’s got another team hot after him.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Wild have expressed an interest in the soon-to-be 37-year-old right wing.
Before Wild fans start getting excited about seeing the guy that used to routinely kill their favorite team becoming one of them, it should be known Iginla’s desire is to stay in Boston. The problem with that is the Bruins have salary cap issues and a few key restricted free agents to get re-signed.
With the Bruins in cap hell, that means Iginla could be on the move elsewhere and despite his age, he proved last season he’s still got it scoring 30 goals with 61 points.
If the Wild were to add Iginla, it would give them a talented veteran presence on a team bursting with young talent. Having him there to help everyone learn the ropes and trying to get deeper into the NHL playoffs would be a huge lift.
Of course, the Wild aren’t alone in showing interest. The Detroit Red Wings, among others, have also expressed interest in Iginla.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)