Jun 29, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
If Jarome Iginla doesn’t re-sign with the Boston Bruins, he’s got another team hot after him.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Wild have expressed an interest in the soon-to-be 37-year-old right wing.
Before Wild fans start getting excited about seeing the guy that used to routinely kill their favorite team becoming one of them, it should be known Iginla’s desire is to stay in Boston. The problem with that is the Bruins have salary cap issues and a few key restricted free agents to get re-signed.
With the Bruins in cap hell, that means Iginla could be on the move elsewhere and despite his age, he proved last season he’s still got it scoring 30 goals with 61 points.
If the Wild were to add Iginla, it would give them a talented veteran presence on a team bursting with young talent. Having him there to help everyone learn the ropes and trying to get deeper into the NHL playoffs would be a huge lift.
Of course, the Wild aren’t alone in showing interest. The Detroit Red Wings, among others, have also expressed interest in Iginla.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)