Jun 29, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
If Jarome Iginla doesn’t re-sign with the Boston Bruins, he’s got another team hot after him.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Wild have expressed an interest in the soon-to-be 37-year-old right wing.
Before Wild fans start getting excited about seeing the guy that used to routinely kill their favorite team becoming one of them, it should be known Iginla’s desire is to stay in Boston. The problem with that is the Bruins have salary cap issues and a few key restricted free agents to get re-signed.
With the Bruins in cap hell, that means Iginla could be on the move elsewhere and despite his age, he proved last season he’s still got it scoring 30 goals with 61 points.
If the Wild were to add Iginla, it would give them a talented veteran presence on a team bursting with young talent. Having him there to help everyone learn the ropes and trying to get deeper into the NHL playoffs would be a huge lift.
Of course, the Wild aren’t alone in showing interest. The Detroit Red Wings, among others, have also expressed interest in Iginla.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)