Jun 28, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Polak, 28, has spent his entire seven-year career with St. Louis. He just wrapped the third of a five-year, $13.75 million deal with a $2.75M annual cap hit.
In exchange for Polak, the Leafs sent Gunnarsson and their fourth-round pick (94th overall) to the Blues. Gunnarson, 27, has two years remaining on his three-year, $9.45M deal that carries a $3.15M cap hit.
The deal is an interesting one. Gunnarsson was a staple of the Toronto blueline last year, scoring 17 points in 80 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night. Polak was a similar staple of the St. Louis defense, but played less (around 17 minutes) and brought a much more rugged game to the table — he led all Blues d-men in hits last year, with 151, and was second on the team with 131 blocked shots.
That said, Polak had a tough time in playoffs against Chicago, finishing the series minus-3 with just one point.
As for why Gunnarsson might’ve been dealt…
Gunnarsson just had pretty significant hip surgery. Another factor in deal.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 28, 2014
Another wrinkle to the deal? Toronto will retain $200,000 of Gunnarsson’s salary.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)