Jun 28, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Polak, 28, has spent his entire seven-year career with St. Louis. He just wrapped the third of a five-year, $13.75 million deal with a $2.75M annual cap hit.
In exchange for Polak, the Leafs sent Gunnarsson and their fourth-round pick (94th overall) to the Blues. Gunnarsson , 27, has two years remaining on his three-year, $9.45M deal that carries a $3.15M cap hit.
The deal is an interesting one. Gunnarsson was a staple of the Toronto blueline last year, scoring 17 points in 80 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night. Polak was a similar staple of the St. Louis defense, but played less (around 17 minutes) and brought a much more rugged game to the table — he led all Blues d-men in hits last year, with 151, and was second on the team with 131 blocked shots.
That said, Polak had a tough time in playoffs against Chicago, finishing the series minus-3 with just one point.
As for why Gunnarsson might’ve been dealt…
Gunnarsson just had pretty significant hip surgery. Another factor in deal.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 28, 2014
Another wrinkle to the deal? Toronto will retain $200,000 of Gunnarsson’s salary.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)