Jun 28, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators landed their coveted “big-time” forward in James Neal but, to hear Sens GM Bryan Murray explain it, the Preds were in the mix to add a second impact guy up front as well.
Murray said Ottawa captain Jason Spezza shot down a potential move to Nashville, per ESPN. Spezza, who holds a no-trade clause, reportedly wouldn’t waive in order to join the Preds, nullifying a deal that “made sense” for Ottawa. (courtesy Pierre LeBrun.)
That Murray had a deal he actually liked is significant. He lamented the lack of quality offers for Spezza leading up to the draft, then saw the market for centers change dramatically when Vancouver sent Ryan Kesler to Anaheim prior to Friday’s opening round.
For Nashville, news of the Spezza offer is significant as well. It further cements the notion that GM David Poile is doing all he can to add offense, and isn’t being held back financially in the search for a skilled center. It’s quite possible the club will now turn its attention to the free agent market — *cough* Paul Stastny *cough* — or maybe look to trade elsewhere. There were rumblings of a deal to get Eric Staal out of Carolina and reunited with Peter Laviolette in Nashville, but The Tennessean and other outlets investigated those claims without finding anything concrete.
As for Poile potentially revisiting the Spezza deal..
“I’m not going to pitch somebody if they don’t want to play for us.” – David Poile on if he will try to convince Spezza to change his mind
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) June 28, 2014
As for Spezza…it’ll be interesting to see how public perception goes after this. He’s now been positioned — by his own GM — as the guy that prevented a trade from happening. Even though he’s well within his rights (that’s why players negotiate no-trade clauses), Senators fans could get further frustrated with a situation that’s already been lingering for a while.
One final wrinkle — and it’s definitely worth noting — the potential Spezza-to-Nashville deal was in the works prior to the Preds landing Neal.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)