Jun 28, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Next season, it’s possible all three of those players won’t be back with the Blueshirts.
“I don’t know where it’s going to go,” Rangers general manager Glen Sather said Saturday. “But that’s why we have all summer to figure it out.”
Dorsett definitely won’t be back; he was traded to Vancouver on Friday.
Boyle probably won’t be back either. The big forward is an unrestricted free agent who wants a bigger role, and Sather’s not “interested” in keeping a player that wants a different role than what the club wants.
“If you’ve got players that aren’t willing to accept their roles, then you’ve got conflict all the time,” said Sather. “That creates problems. I’m not interested in problems. I want people that want to play within a team structure. That’s how you win.”
As for Moore, the 33-year-old center is also an unrestricted free agent. He made $1 million last season and had six goals and 12 assists in 73 games.
Benoit Pouliot is another UFA forward who may or may not be back.
“I think you have to decide yourself what’s the important thing,” said Sather, “whether it’s winning or getting a few more dollars someplace else. In my book it’s always winning.”
Whatever happens with his free-agent veterans, Sather expects 21-year-old J.T. Miller to be with the big club in 2014-15.
“We expect Miller to come and play this year,” he said. “He probably would’ve played throughout the playoffs if he hadn’t had his separated shoulder. He’s young. He fits into the price range. He’s going to develop into becoming a very good hockey player. He had a lot of growth this year, and did well.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)