Jun 28, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Next season, it’s possible all three of those players won’t be back with the Blueshirts.
“I don’t know where it’s going to go,” Rangers general manager Glen Sather said Saturday. “But that’s why we have all summer to figure it out.”
Dorsett definitely won’t be back; he was traded to Vancouver on Friday.
Boyle probably won’t be back either. The big forward is an unrestricted free agent who wants a bigger role, and Sather’s not “interested” in keeping a player that wants a different role than what the club wants.
“If you’ve got players that aren’t willing to accept their roles, then you’ve got conflict all the time,” said Sather. “That creates problems. I’m not interested in problems. I want people that want to play within a team structure. That’s how you win.”
As for Moore, the 33-year-old center is also an unrestricted free agent. He made $1 million last season and had six goals and 12 assists in 73 games.
Benoit Pouliot is another UFA forward who may or may not be back.
“I think you have to decide yourself what’s the important thing,” said Sather, “whether it’s winning or getting a few more dollars someplace else. In my book it’s always winning.”
Whatever happens with his free-agent veterans, Sather expects 21-year-old J.T. Miller to be with the big club in 2014-15.
“We expect Miller to come and play this year,” he said. “He probably would’ve played throughout the playoffs if he hadn’t had his separated shoulder. He’s young. He fits into the price range. He’s going to develop into becoming a very good hockey player. He had a lot of growth this year, and did well.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)