Jun 28, 2014, 10:22 AM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Buffalo opened Day 2 of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by going with the bloodlines.
The Sabres took Brendan Lemieux — son of longtime NHLer Claude — with the first pick of the second round (31st overall) on Saturday morning. Lemieux, the 28th-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting, was the second forward taken by Buffalo at the draft after the Sabres made WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart the No. 2 overall pick last night.
Lemieux, 18, is coming off a very good season with the Colts, his second in the OHL. He finished with 23 goals and 53 points in 58 games, tied on points with the first overall pick at this year’s draft — Florida Panthers rearguard Aaron Ekblad.
As for his playing style? Sabres fans will be pleased to hear he’s very similar to dad — news that might be less welcome for the NHL’s other 29 teams.
“Brendan is me with a left shot,” Claude said, per the Star-Ledger. “Obviously the way the game is played is different today. It requires probably less physicality and a bit more skill. He’s done that.”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)