Jun 28, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Buffalo opened Day 2 of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by going with the bloodlines.
The Sabres took Brendan Lemieux — son of longtime NHLer Claude — with the first pick of the second round (31st overall) on Saturday morning. Lemieux, the 28th-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting, was the second forward taken by Buffalo at the draft after the Sabres made WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart the No. 2 overall pick last night.
Lemieux, 18, is coming off a very good season with the Colts, his second in the OHL. He finished with 23 goals and 53 points in 58 games, tied on points with the first overall pick at this year’s draft — Florida Panthers rearguard Aaron Ekblad.
As for his playing style? Sabres fans will be pleased to hear he’s very similar to dad — news that might be less welcome for the NHL’s other 29 teams.
“Brendan is me with a left shot,” Claude said, per the Star-Ledger. “Obviously the way the game is played is different today. It requires probably less physicality and a bit more skill. He’s done that.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)