Jun 28, 2014, 10:22 AM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Buffalo opened Day 2 of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by going with the bloodlines.
The Sabres took Brendan Lemieux — son of longtime NHLer Claude — with the first pick of the second round (31st overall) on Saturday morning. Lemieux, the 28th-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting, was the second forward taken by Buffalo at the draft after the Sabres made WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart the No. 2 overall pick last night.
Lemieux, 18, is coming off a very good season with the Colts, his second in the OHL. He finished with 23 goals and 53 points in 58 games, tied on points with the first overall pick at this year’s draft — Florida Panthers rearguard Aaron Ekblad.
As for his playing style? Sabres fans will be pleased to hear he’s very similar to dad — news that might be less welcome for the NHL’s other 29 teams.
“Brendan is me with a left shot,” Claude said, per the Star-Ledger. “Obviously the way the game is played is different today. It requires probably less physicality and a bit more skill. He’s done that.”
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 2
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)