Jun 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens re-signed veteran blueliner Andrei Markov and look to lock up star defenseman P.K. Subban this summer, but that doesn’t mean the Habs’ defense will be identical to the group that made it to the 2014 Eastern Conference finals.
Saturday’s revelation might be the most surprising update in that regard, though. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Canadiens discussed trading Josh Gorges to – of all teams – the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Fans of the two rivals can breathe easily, as it appears that the Maple Leafs didn’t make the list of 15 teams he’d accept a trade to.
That bit of rivalry intrigue aside, it’s surprising to hear that the Canadiens might want to move the experienced blueliner. There’s already word that Montreal will allow veterans Mike Weaver and Francis Bouillon to hit unrestricted free agency, so this opens the door for a lot of turnover among the Canadiens’ blueline corps.
Curious future for Gorges?
Then again, maybe the Habs view his injury troubles from 2013-14 as a sign that his best days are behind him; that would be a troubling sight since his $3.9 million cap hit runs through the 2017-18 season. The fact that Gorges blocked the second-most shots (177) of all Montreal players despite playing 66 games to Markov’s 81 (who finished with 180) speaks to his courage, yet it also opens the door to speculation that he might wear down in his 30’s.
Some might be a little disappointed that there weren’t as many trades during the 2014 NHL Draft as expected, yet if reports like these are any indication, we might still see some significant swaps during the offseason.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)