Jun 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens re-signed veteran blueliner Andrei Markov and look to lock up star defenseman P.K. Subban this summer, but that doesn’t mean the Habs’ defense will be identical to the group that made it to the 2014 Eastern Conference finals.
Saturday’s revelation might be the most surprising update in that regard, though. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the Canadiens discussed trading Josh Gorges to – of all teams – the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Fans of the two rivals can breathe easily, as it appears that the Maple Leafs didn’t make the list of 15 teams he’d accept a trade to.
That bit of rivalry intrigue aside, it’s surprising to hear that the Canadiens might want to move the experienced blueliner. There’s already word that Montreal will allow veterans Mike Weaver and Francis Bouillon to hit unrestricted free agency, so this opens the door for a lot of turnover among the Canadiens’ blueline corps.
Curious future for Gorges?
Then again, maybe the Habs view his injury troubles from 2013-14 as a sign that his best days are behind him; that would be a troubling sight since his $3.9 million cap hit runs through the 2017-18 season. The fact that Gorges blocked the second-most shots (177) of all Montreal players despite playing 66 games to Markov’s 81 (who finished with 180) speaks to his courage, yet it also opens the door to speculation that he might wear down in his 30’s.
Some might be a little disappointed that there weren’t as many trades during the 2014 NHL Draft as expected, yet if reports like these are any indication, we might still see some significant swaps during the offseason.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)