Jun 28, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
After 210 picks with prospects hailing from 12 different countries, the 2014 NHL Draft is now over. Take a breath if you need it.
In any sport, it’s a folly to give report card letter grades in a process that can yield some highly unpredictable results. That’s especially true in hockey and baseball drafts in which teams are betting their futures on high school-age athletes. Really, it’s even risky to give a thumb’s up or down after free agent season, and many of the players being signed have been kicking around the league for a decade.
Still, silly things can also be a lot of fun, so praising or blaming a team’s scouts and executives for a job seemingly well or poorly done is just a good time. Besides, training camps won’t kick in until September, so we have to entertain our hockey minds with something, right?
Before we get to the winners and losers votes for this year’s drafts, here are a few interesting facts from the proceedings, with help from the NHL’s press release:
- While there weren’t any goalies who were selected in the first round, five went in the second, including a hectic span in which four were selected from picks 34-39.
- The OHL produced the most draftees with 41 players, slightly edging the WHL’s 37. The league’s most amusing moment might have come when Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon milked some tension with the No. 1 pick as he paused while a handful of possible OHL top picks were presented in an Academy Awards-like split-screen.
- If you enjoy quality vs. quantity debates, consider this: the St. Louis Blues and Los Angeles Kings had the most picks in 2014 with 10. Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators were tied for the fewest with five apiece.
Conversely, who will regret this draft the most? Again, feel free to apply whatever reasoning you’d like, the more logical the better:
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)