Jun 28, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
After none were taken in Friday’s first round, a flurry of goalies were picked at the start of today’s second round of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
First, with the 34th overall pick, the Calgary Flames took Mason McDonald out of QMJHL Charlottetown. Then, with the 36th pick, the Vancouver Canucks selected Boston College standout Thatcher Demko. The Carolina Hurricanes proceeded to take Alex Nedeljkovic of the Plymouth Whalers at No. 37, followed shortly thereafter by the Washington Capitals going with Czech goalie Vitek Vanecek at No. 39.
It was actually a bit of an upset that McDonald went ahead of Demko. NHL Central Scouting had Demko as the top-ranked netminder, with McDonald at No. 2. A strong second half of the season pushed McDonald up from his midterm ranking of No. 7.
On Demko, Central Scouting’s Al Jensen had this to say: “He has that NHL pro-type potential. I can see him three or four years down the road becoming a monster in the net, and for any franchise in need of a future top goalie that’s what you want. He’s big, aggressive and confident, and has remained strong and focused most of the year.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)