Jun 28, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
There was plenty of speculation that a team could land the No. 1 overall pick from the Florida Panthers just prior to the start of the NHL Draft on Friday. Apparently, the Philadelphia Flyers made quite the move for it.
In the end, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon held onto the pick, selecting defenseman Aaron Ekblad with that first overall selection. But it was certainly something worth dangling in front of the other GMs in the league in the waning moments.
“We were close,” said Tallon, as per CSN Philadelphia. “They made a legitimate attempt. We had a number of conversations with Ron. They teased me. It was not an easy decision. They were willing. … It was enticing.
“High noon today … We made our decision. We laid out all our cards on the table, laid out all the pros and cons on possible deals and what was eventually best for the franchise in the long term. … We felt that Ekblad fit into the [Aleksander] Barkov, [Nick] Bjugstad advance in what we’re trying to build.”
With rookie GM Jim Benning, the Vancouver Canucks had a busy day by making three trades earlier on, including a blockbuster that sent Ryan Kesler to the Anaheim Ducks, were also making a bid for the first overall pick, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)