Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Vancouver continues to be the busiest team at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
The Canucks made another trade on Saturday morning, acquiring Kings forward Linden Vey in exchange for the 50th overall pick — a pick Vancouver acquired from Tampa Bay for d-man Jason Garrison on Friday.
Vey, 22, was Los Angeles’ fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft and made his NHL debut last season, recording five assists in 18 games. A gifted scorer in junior — he had 116 points in his last WHL season — the move reunites him with new Canucks coach Willie Desjardins, who coached Vey in Medicine Hat.
The move probably isn’t one the Kings wanted to make, but had to in light of their current cap situation. The team is currently pressed right up against the $69 million cap ceiling and Vey, a pending RFA, looks to be a casualty of the team’s tight finances.
For Vancouver, it’s a nice get. Vey has shown quite well with AHL Manchester — 48 points in 43 games last year — and was often mentioned in the same conversation as Los Angeles’ other two promising young forwards, Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli. The Vey acquisition also continues with a major overhaul from new GM Jim Benning — he’s already dealt away Ryan Kesler to Anaheim in exchange for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, the 24th overall pick (used to select Jared McCann) and a third-rounder the club dealt to the Rangers for Derek Dorsett.
As for the 50th overall pick the Kings received, they selected OHL Kingston defenseman Roland McKeown.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 9
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 9
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 12
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 38
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8