Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Vancouver continues to be the busiest team at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
The Canucks made another trade on Saturday morning, acquiring Kings forward Linden Vey in exchange for the 50th overall pick — a pick Vancouver acquired from Tampa Bay for d-man Jason Garrison on Friday.
Vey, 22, was Los Angeles’ fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft and made his NHL debut last season, recording five assists in 18 games. A gifted scorer in junior — he had 116 points in his last WHL season — the move reunites him with new Canucks coach Willie Desjardins, who coached Vey in Medicine Hat.
The move probably isn’t one the Kings wanted to make, but had to in light of their current cap situation. The team is currently pressed right up against the $69 million cap ceiling and Vey, a pending RFA, looks to be a casualty of the team’s tight finances.
For Vancouver, it’s a nice get. Vey has shown quite well with AHL Manchester — 48 points in 43 games last year — and was often mentioned in the same conversation as Los Angeles’ other two promising young forwards, Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli. The Vey acquisition also continues with a major overhaul from new GM Jim Benning — he’s already dealt away Ryan Kesler to Anaheim in exchange for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, the 24th overall pick (used to select Jared McCann) and a third-rounder the club dealt to the Rangers for Derek Dorsett.
As for the 50th overall pick the Kings received, they selected OHL Kingston defenseman Roland McKeown.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)