Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Vancouver continues to be the busiest team at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
The Canucks made another trade on Saturday morning, acquiring Kings forward Linden Vey in exchange for the 50th overall pick — a pick Vancouver acquired from Tampa Bay for d-man Jason Garrison on Friday.
Vey, 22, was Los Angeles’ fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft and made his NHL debut last season, recording five assists in 18 games. A gifted scorer in junior — he had 116 points in his last WHL season — the move reunites him with new Canucks coach Willie Desjardins, who coached Vey in Medicine Hat.
The move probably isn’t one the Kings wanted to make, but had to in light of their current cap situation. The team is currently pressed right up against the $69 million cap ceiling and Vey, a pending RFA, looks to be a casualty of the team’s tight finances.
For Vancouver, it’s a nice get. Vey has shown quite well with AHL Manchester — 48 points in 43 games last year — and was often mentioned in the same conversation as Los Angeles’ other two promising young forwards, Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli. The Vey acquisition also continues with a major overhaul from new GM Jim Benning — he’s already dealt away Ryan Kesler to Anaheim in exchange for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, the 24th overall pick (used to select Jared McCann) and a third-rounder the club dealt to the Rangers for Derek Dorsett.
As for the 50th overall pick the Kings received, they selected OHL Kingston defenseman Roland McKeown.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)