Jun 27, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Wilson earlier said Havlat wouldn’t be back next season, but would try to facilitate a trade rather than amensty the deal.
Havlat, 30, has one year left on his six-year, $30 million contract signed with the Wild in 2009. The buyout will free San Jose of his $5 million cap hit, but the club will pay Havlat $1M in 2014-15 and $2M in 2015-16.
The buyout marks the end of Havlat’s disappointing tenure with the Sharks. Acquired in 2011 as part of the deal that sent Dany Heatley to Minnesota, the Czech forward suffered through a myriad of injuries and never appeared in more than 48 games in a single season. That said, Havlat’s still been a relatively effective scorer — he had 27 points in 39 games during the 2011-12 campaign, and 12 goals and 22 points last year.
For San Jose, the move kicks off what could be a major summer rebuild. The club has already dealt away Dan Boyle and re-signed Alex Stalock to challenge Antti Niemi for the No. 1 goalie gig; Brent Burns will be moved back to defense and both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have seen their names come up in trade rumors.
Per CSN Bay Area, the Sharks won’t use their other compliance buyout.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)