Jun 27, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
Wilson earlier said Havlat wouldn’t be back next season, but would try to facilitate a trade rather than amensty the deal.
Havlat, 30, has one year left on his six-year, $30 million contract signed with the Wild in 2009. The buyout will free San Jose of his $5 million cap hit, but the club will pay Havlat $1M in 2014-15 and $2M in 2015-16.
The buyout marks the end of Havlat’s disappointing tenure with the Sharks. Acquired in 2011 as part of the deal that sent Dany Heatley to Minnesota, the Czech forward suffered through a myriad of injuries and never appeared in more than 48 games in a single season. That said, Havlat’s still been a relatively effective scorer — he had 27 points in 39 games during the 2011-12 campaign, and 12 goals and 22 points last year.
For San Jose, the move kicks off what could be a major summer rebuild. The club has already dealt away Dan Boyle and re-signed Alex Stalock to challenge Antti Niemi for the No. 1 goalie gig; Brent Burns will be moved back to defense and both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have seen their names come up in trade rumors.
Per CSN Bay Area, the Sharks won’t use their other compliance buyout.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)