Jun 27, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
Connor McDavid is seen as a guy that could develop into the best forward in the NHL. In other words, he’s a game changer like Sidney Crosby has been for the Pittsburgh Penguins and he’ll be available to whichever team wins the 2015 NHL Draft lottery.
There’s a good chance the Buffalo Sabres will end up in the NHL basement next season, giving them the best odds of getting McDavid. Sabres GM Tim Murray knows that. Everyone does. And that’s at the heart of his argument that the proposal to smooth out the odds for the draft lottery aren’t fair.
“I just think it affects the teams you see at the bottom now, so you know who you’re affecting,” Murray told Buffalo News. “I’m not sure that’s fair. I think if you did it three years out, you know you’re affecting somebody. You’re affecting a bad team, but you’re not sure who that team is right now.”
Under the changes, the worst team in the league goes from having a 25% chance to win the lottery to 19-20%. For 2015, the worst team can only slide one spot, which wouldn’t be a devastating drop given that Jack Eichel is another very highly-regarded prospect. Starting with the 2016 draft, the worst team will be able to drop as far as fourth place. All this is subject to the NHLPA’s approval, but Murray doesn’t think that will be an obstacle.
He’s also not fundamentally opposed to these changes, which are designed to discourage tanking, his issue is just with the timing of it. If the league agreed to these tweaks now, but waited a few years to implement them, then this would all be fine in his mind.
In addition to their own pick, the Sabres also control the St. Louis Blues and New York Islanders’ 2015 first round selections.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)