Jun 27, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
As the hockey world awaits to see if Joe Thornton will indeed remain with the San Jose Sharks, it appears another team has entered into the possible sweepstakes when it comes to the towering center’s services.
From CSN Bay Area:
Add the Dallas Stars to the list of teams that would be interested in Sharks captain Joe Thornton, should be become available.
According to an NHL source, Dallas has approached San Jose about acquiring the 34-year-old center. The Stars could use help at the position behind budding superstar Tyler Seguin, while (GM Doug Wilson) has clearly indicated he will be turning his team over to the younger core players on the ice and in the dressing room.
The interest from Dallas is meaningless, of course, if Thornton does not want to waive his no-trade clause. His agent and brother, John Thornton, indicated again on Friday that his client would like to remain in San Jose.
Trade speculation has followed the Sharks and Thornton since San Jose’s first-round playoff failure to the L.A. Kings this spring.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were also reportedly interested in the 34-year-old Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, as were about half a dozen other clubs at the time.
However there is a case in which he would consider moving his no-movement clause, according to his brother and agent John Thornton.
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things,” said John Thornton earlier this month to the San Jose Mercury News.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)