Jun 27, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
As the hockey world awaits to see if Joe Thornton will indeed remain with the San Jose Sharks, it appears another team has entered into the possible sweepstakes when it comes to the towering center’s services.
From CSN Bay Area:
Add the Dallas Stars to the list of teams that would be interested in Sharks captain Joe Thornton, should be become available.
According to an NHL source, Dallas has approached San Jose about acquiring the 34-year-old center. The Stars could use help at the position behind budding superstar Tyler Seguin, while (GM Doug Wilson) has clearly indicated he will be turning his team over to the younger core players on the ice and in the dressing room.
The interest from Dallas is meaningless, of course, if Thornton does not want to waive his no-trade clause. His agent and brother, John Thornton, indicated again on Friday that his client would like to remain in San Jose.
Trade speculation has followed the Sharks and Thornton since San Jose’s first-round playoff failure to the L.A. Kings this spring.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were also reportedly interested in the 34-year-old Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, as were about half a dozen other clubs at the time.
However there is a case in which he would consider moving his no-movement clause, according to his brother and agent John Thornton.
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things,” said John Thornton earlier this month to the San Jose Mercury News.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)