Jun 27, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
As the hockey world awaits to see if Joe Thornton will indeed remain with the San Jose Sharks, it appears another team has entered into the possible sweepstakes when it comes to the towering center’s services.
From CSN Bay Area:
Add the Dallas Stars to the list of teams that would be interested in Sharks captain Joe Thornton, should be become available.
According to an NHL source, Dallas has approached San Jose about acquiring the 34-year-old center. The Stars could use help at the position behind budding superstar Tyler Seguin, while (GM Doug Wilson) has clearly indicated he will be turning his team over to the younger core players on the ice and in the dressing room.
The interest from Dallas is meaningless, of course, if Thornton does not want to waive his no-trade clause. His agent and brother, John Thornton, indicated again on Friday that his client would like to remain in San Jose.
Trade speculation has followed the Sharks and Thornton since San Jose’s first-round playoff failure to the L.A. Kings this spring.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were also reportedly interested in the 34-year-old Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, as were about half a dozen other clubs at the time.
However there is a case in which he would consider moving his no-movement clause, according to his brother and agent John Thornton.
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things,” said John Thornton earlier this month to the San Jose Mercury News.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)