Jun 27, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
As the hockey world awaits to see if Joe Thornton will indeed remain with the San Jose Sharks, it appears another team has entered into the possible sweepstakes when it comes to the towering center’s services.
From CSN Bay Area:
Add the Dallas Stars to the list of teams that would be interested in Sharks captain Joe Thornton, should be become available.
According to an NHL source, Dallas has approached San Jose about acquiring the 34-year-old center. The Stars could use help at the position behind budding superstar Tyler Seguin, while (GM Doug Wilson) has clearly indicated he will be turning his team over to the younger core players on the ice and in the dressing room.
The interest from Dallas is meaningless, of course, if Thornton does not want to waive his no-trade clause. His agent and brother, John Thornton, indicated again on Friday that his client would like to remain in San Jose.
Trade speculation has followed the Sharks and Thornton since San Jose’s first-round playoff failure to the L.A. Kings this spring.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were also reportedly interested in the 34-year-old Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, as were about half a dozen other clubs at the time.
However there is a case in which he would consider moving his no-movement clause, according to his brother and agent John Thornton.
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things,” said John Thornton earlier this month to the San Jose Mercury News.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (89)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)