Jun 27, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
As the hockey world awaits to see if Joe Thornton will indeed remain with the San Jose Sharks, it appears another team has entered into the possible sweepstakes when it comes to the towering center’s services.
From CSN Bay Area:
Add the Dallas Stars to the list of teams that would be interested in Sharks captain Joe Thornton, should be become available.
According to an NHL source, Dallas has approached San Jose about acquiring the 34-year-old center. The Stars could use help at the position behind budding superstar Tyler Seguin, while (GM Doug Wilson) has clearly indicated he will be turning his team over to the younger core players on the ice and in the dressing room.
The interest from Dallas is meaningless, of course, if Thornton does not want to waive his no-trade clause. His agent and brother, John Thornton, indicated again on Friday that his client would like to remain in San Jose.
Trade speculation has followed the Sharks and Thornton since San Jose’s first-round playoff failure to the L.A. Kings this spring.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were also reportedly interested in the 34-year-old Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, as were about half a dozen other clubs at the time.
However there is a case in which he would consider moving his no-movement clause, according to his brother and agent John Thornton.
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things,” said John Thornton earlier this month to the San Jose Mercury News.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)