Jun 27, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
Brodeur, 42, announced two weeks ago he’d be testing free agency and potentially moving on from New Jersey, the first and only team he’s ever played for during his Hall of Fame career.
“I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m definitely going to be available July 1,” Brodeur told ESPN.com on June 6. “I want to play one more season and I want to see what’s out there.”
The news came on the same day New Jersey’s other goalie, Cory Schneider, said he wanted assurances he’d be the clear-cut No. 1 for the Devils after splitting games with Brodeur this year. Brodeur acknowledged part of his reason for heading to free agency was to ease the transition for Schneider to become the No. 1, and it’s worth noting Schneider holds some leverage, given he’s an unrestricted free agent following this season.
“It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it,” Schneider said, per the Star-Ledger. “I’m probably 50 or 75 games short of where I would have liked to be as far as career games-played. That’s a result of splitting the time in goal in Vancouver as well as last year.
“I was hoping to step into that (No. 1 role) maybe a little earlier.”
As mentioned above, Brodeur’s spent his entire 23-year career with the Devils, winning three Stanley Cups and four Vezina Trophies. He’s also the NHL’s all-time leader in games played, wins and shutouts.
It’s unclear what six teams are in the mix right now but, per LeBrun, the number of interested suitors is expected to grow after the dust settles on this weekend’s draft in Philly.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54