Jun 27, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have chosen to upgrade size at the center position, selecting Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the NHL Draft on Friday.
Draisaitl stands 6’1″ and weighs in at 208 pounds, had a standout season for the Prince Albert Raiders, scoring 38 goals and putting up 105 points in his second season in the Western Hockey League. He also has international experience with the German national junior team.
Prior to the draft, he received a high compliment from B.J. MacDonald of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, getting compared to Jaromir Jagr.
“He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque,” said MacDonald, as per NHL.com.
“He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 0
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 27
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 20
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)