Jun 27, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have chosen to upgrade size at the center position, selecting Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the NHL Draft on Friday.
Draisaitl stands 6’1″ and weighs in at 208 pounds, had a standout season for the Prince Albert Raiders, scoring 38 goals and putting up 105 points in his second season in the Western Hockey League. He also has international experience with the German national junior team.
Prior to the draft, he received a high compliment from B.J. MacDonald of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, getting compared to Jaromir Jagr.
“He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque,” said MacDonald, as per NHL.com.
“He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)