Jun 27, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have chosen to upgrade size at the center position, selecting Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the NHL Draft on Friday.
Draisaitl stands 6’1″ and weighs in at 208 pounds, had a standout season for the Prince Albert Raiders, scoring 38 goals and putting up 105 points in his second season in the Western Hockey League. He also has international experience with the German national junior team.
Prior to the draft, he received a high compliment from B.J. MacDonald of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, getting compared to Jaromir Jagr.
“He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque,” said MacDonald, as per NHL.com.
“He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)