Jun 27, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have chosen to upgrade size at the center position, selecting Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the NHL Draft on Friday.
Draisaitl stands 6’1″ and weighs in at 208 pounds, had a standout season for the Prince Albert Raiders, scoring 38 goals and putting up 105 points in his second season in the Western Hockey League. He also has international experience with the German national junior team.
Prior to the draft, he received a high compliment from B.J. MacDonald of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, getting compared to Jaromir Jagr.
“He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque,” said MacDonald, as per NHL.com.
“He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)