Jun 27, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have chosen to upgrade size at the center position, selecting Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the NHL Draft on Friday.
Draisaitl stands 6’1″ and weighs in at 208 pounds, had a standout season for the Prince Albert Raiders, scoring 38 goals and putting up 105 points in his second season in the Western Hockey League. He also has international experience with the German national junior team.
Prior to the draft, he received a high compliment from B.J. MacDonald of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, getting compared to Jaromir Jagr.
“He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque,” said MacDonald, as per NHL.com.
“He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)