Jun 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have bolstered their blueline by acquiring Jason Garrison from the Vancouver Canucks. They also received 23-year-old forward Jeff Costello and a seventh round pick in exchange for the 50th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Garrison, 29, is a capable top-four defenseman who has recorded 33 points in each of the last two 82-game campaigns. The Canucks had some flexibility to move him though after acquiring defenseman Luca Sbisa from the Anaheim Ducks in the Ryan Kesler trade they made earlier this afternoon.
Tampa Bay is inheriting the final four seasons of his six-year, $27.6 million contract.
Between their two trades, the Canucks have lessened their cap burden by roughly $5.5 million even after Sbisa and forward Nick Bonino‘s contracts are factored in. That leaves Vancouver with approximately $51.4 million committed to 17 players, per Cap Geek.
Costello spent the last four seasons playing for Notre Dame. Originally taken in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he had 22 points and 73 penalty minutes in 40 games in 2013-14.
Update: NBC’s Pierre McGuire thinks Vancouver will use their cap flexibility to go after Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers, per TEAM Radio’s Mike Martignago. Keep in mind that Myers has also been linked to the Detroit Red Wings.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)