Jun 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have bolstered their blueline by acquiring Jason Garrison from the Vancouver Canucks. They also received 23-year-old forward Jeff Costello and a seventh round pick in exchange for the 50th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Garrison, 29, is a capable top-four defenseman who has recorded 33 points in each of the last two 82-game campaigns. The Canucks had some flexibility to move him though after acquiring defenseman Luca Sbisa from the Anaheim Ducks in the Ryan Kesler trade they made earlier this afternoon.
Tampa Bay is inheriting the final four seasons of his six-year, $27.6 million contract.
Between their two trades, the Canucks have lessened their cap burden by roughly $5.5 million even after Sbisa and forward Nick Bonino‘s contracts are factored in. That leaves Vancouver with approximately $51.4 million committed to 17 players, per Cap Geek.
Costello spent the last four seasons playing for Notre Dame. Originally taken in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he had 22 points and 73 penalty minutes in 40 games in 2013-14.
Update: NBC’s Pierre McGuire thinks Vancouver will use their cap flexibility to go after Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers, per TEAM Radio’s Mike Martignago. Keep in mind that Myers has also been linked to the Detroit Red Wings.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)