Jun 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have bolstered their blueline by acquiring Jason Garrison from the Vancouver Canucks. They also received 23-year-old forward Jeff Costello and a seventh round pick in exchange for the 50th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Garrison, 29, is a capable top-four defenseman who has recorded 33 points in each of the last two 82-game campaigns. The Canucks had some flexibility to move him though after acquiring defenseman Luca Sbisa from the Anaheim Ducks in the Ryan Kesler trade they made earlier this afternoon.
Tampa Bay is inheriting the final four seasons of his six-year, $27.6 million contract.
Between their two trades, the Canucks have lessened their cap burden by roughly $5.5 million even after Sbisa and forward Nick Bonino‘s contracts are factored in. That leaves Vancouver with approximately $51.4 million committed to 17 players, per Cap Geek.
Costello spent the last four seasons playing for Notre Dame. Originally taken in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he had 22 points and 73 penalty minutes in 40 games in 2013-14.
Update: NBC’s Pierre McGuire thinks Vancouver will use their cap flexibility to go after Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers, per TEAM Radio’s Mike Martignago. Keep in mind that Myers has also been linked to the Detroit Red Wings.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)