Jun 27, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler didn’t enjoy his time with the Vancouver Canucks in 2013-14 and while he respects Canucks president Trevor Linden, he feels the team is nowhere close to being a contender again.
“They’re in a rebuild and are years away from being a contender,” Kesler said, per the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott. “It was time for me to move on.”
The 29-year-old forward got his wish today when the Anaheim Ducks acquired him from Vancouver in exchange for Nick Bonino, defenseman Luca Sbisa, and Anaheim’s first-round pick (24th overall) in the 2014 draft.
With the Ducks he’ll be the second-line center on a team that has won their division twice and took the Stanley Cup-winning Los Angeles Kings to Game 7 in the second round. In short, a team that’s more poised to win than Vancouver.
“At the end of the day, I want to win a championship and I want to win it now,” Kesler said, according to the Ducks’ Twitter feed.
Kesler had 25 goals and 43 points in 77 games in 2013-14, but the Canucks’ offense was anemic overall during coach John Tortorella’s brief tenure. When he was at his height, Kesler had back-to-back 70-point campaigns in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)