Jun 27, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler didn’t enjoy his time with the Vancouver Canucks in 2013-14 and while he respects Canucks president Trevor Linden, he feels the team is nowhere close to being a contender again.
“They’re in a rebuild and are years away from being a contender,” Kesler said, per the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott. “It was time for me to move on.”
The 29-year-old forward got his wish today when the Anaheim Ducks acquired him from Vancouver in exchange for Nick Bonino, defenseman Luca Sbisa, and Anaheim’s first-round pick (24th overall) in the 2014 draft.
With the Ducks he’ll be the second-line center on a team that has won their division twice and took the Stanley Cup-winning Los Angeles Kings to Game 7 in the second round. In short, a team that’s more poised to win than Vancouver.
“At the end of the day, I want to win a championship and I want to win it now,” Kesler said, according to the Ducks’ Twitter feed.
Kesler had 25 goals and 43 points in 77 games in 2013-14, but the Canucks’ offense was anemic overall during coach John Tortorella’s brief tenure. When he was at his height, Kesler had back-to-back 70-point campaigns in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)