Jun 27, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler didn’t enjoy his time with the Vancouver Canucks in 2013-14 and while he respects Canucks president Trevor Linden, he feels the team is nowhere close to being a contender again.
“They’re in a rebuild and are years away from being a contender,” Kesler said, per the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott. “It was time for me to move on.”
The 29-year-old forward got his wish today when the Anaheim Ducks acquired him from Vancouver in exchange for Nick Bonino, defenseman Luca Sbisa, and Anaheim’s first-round pick (24th overall) in the 2014 draft.
With the Ducks he’ll be the second-line center on a team that has won their division twice and took the Stanley Cup-winning Los Angeles Kings to Game 7 in the second round. In short, a team that’s more poised to win than Vancouver.
“At the end of the day, I want to win a championship and I want to win it now,” Kesler said, according to the Ducks’ Twitter feed.
Kesler had 25 goals and 43 points in 77 games in 2013-14, but the Canucks’ offense was anemic overall during coach John Tortorella’s brief tenure. When he was at his height, Kesler had back-to-back 70-point campaigns in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)