Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — It wasn’t the blockbuster people wanted but for Nick Schmaltz, it was as big as it gets.
Schmaltz, a forward with USHL Green Bay, was taken by Chicago with the 20th overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft after the ‘Hawks traded up from the No. 27 spot to take San Jose’s selection. The deal initially had some buzz around it as those in attendance were hoping for a swap of players (the Sharks and ‘Hawks have had a few names out there), but in the end it was a deal for Chicago to land Schmaltz.
Off to the University of North Dakota next season — where he’ll play with his brother, Jordan, St. Louis’ first-round pick at the 2012 draft — Schmaltz does have some ties to his future city.
He spent three years playing bantam and midget hockey for the Chicago Mission program before moving to the USHL, and also spent some time with the U.S. National Team Development program, where he led the Americans in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka tournament.
As for the rest of the trade, San Jose picked up the 62nd overall selection, sending No. 179 to Chicago. The Sharks now have the 51st, 53rd and 62nd picks on Saturday, so they’ll be plenty busy in the morning.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)