Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — It wasn’t the blockbuster people wanted but for Nick Schmaltz, it was as big as it gets.
Schmaltz, a forward with USHL Green Bay, was taken by Chicago with the 20th overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft after the ‘Hawks traded up from the No. 27 spot to take San Jose’s selection. The deal initially had some buzz around it as those in attendance were hoping for a swap of players (the Sharks and ‘Hawks have had a few names out there), but in the end it was a deal for Chicago to land Schmaltz.
Off to the University of North Dakota next season — where he’ll play with his brother, Jordan, St. Louis’ first-round pick at the 2012 draft — Schmaltz does have some ties to his future city.
He spent three years playing bantam and midget hockey for the Chicago Mission program before moving to the USHL, and also spent some time with the U.S. National Team Development program, where he led the Americans in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka tournament.
As for the rest of the trade, San Jose picked up the 62nd overall selection, sending No. 179 to Chicago. The Sharks now have the 51st, 53rd and 62nd picks on Saturday, so they’ll be plenty busy in the morning.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)