Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — It wasn’t the blockbuster people wanted but for Nick Schmaltz, it was as big as it gets.
Schmaltz, a forward with USHL Green Bay, was taken by Chicago with the 20th overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft after the ‘Hawks traded up from the No. 27 spot to take San Jose’s selection. The deal initially had some buzz around it as those in attendance were hoping for a swap of players (the Sharks and ‘Hawks have had a few names out there), but in the end it was a deal for Chicago to land Schmaltz.
Off to the University of North Dakota next season — where he’ll play with his brother, Jordan, St. Louis’ first-round pick at the 2012 draft — Schmaltz does have some ties to his future city.
He spent three years playing bantam and midget hockey for the Chicago Mission program before moving to the USHL, and also spent some time with the U.S. National Team Development program, where he led the Americans in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka tournament.
As for the rest of the trade, San Jose picked up the 62nd overall selection, sending No. 179 to Chicago. The Sharks now have the 51st, 53rd and 62nd picks on Saturday, so they’ll be plenty busy in the morning.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)