Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — It wasn’t the blockbuster people wanted but for Nick Schmaltz, it was as big as it gets.
Schmaltz, a forward with USHL Green Bay, was taken by Chicago with the 20th overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft after the ‘Hawks traded up from the No. 27 spot to take San Jose’s selection. The deal initially had some buzz around it as those in attendance were hoping for a swap of players (the Sharks and ‘Hawks have had a few names out there), but in the end it was a deal for Chicago to land Schmaltz.
Off to the University of North Dakota next season — where he’ll play with his brother, Jordan, St. Louis’ first-round pick at the 2012 draft — Schmaltz does have some ties to his future city.
He spent three years playing bantam and midget hockey for the Chicago Mission program before moving to the USHL, and also spent some time with the U.S. National Team Development program, where he led the Americans in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka tournament.
As for the rest of the trade, San Jose picked up the 62nd overall selection, sending No. 179 to Chicago. The Sharks now have the 51st, 53rd and 62nd picks on Saturday, so they’ll be plenty busy in the morning.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 3
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 10
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 26
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 44
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)