Jun 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have hired Lane Lambert to serve as an assistant coach, per the Monumental Network. He is already very familiar with head coach Barry Trotz after spending the previous three seasons as an assistant with Nashville.
Lambert’s duties with the Predators included overseeing the team’s penalty kill and forwards. The Capitals’ other recent hire, assistant coach Todd Reirden, previously worked with defensemen and the power-play units with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Before becoming an assistant coach with Nashville, he was the bench boss of its AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals. The Admirals had a 178-103-39 record under him and allowed the second fewest goals of any team over his tenure.
Nashville’s penalty kill finished 25th and 29th in 2013-14 and the shortened campaign respectively, but it ranked 10th in 2011-12 with a 83.6% success rate.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36