Jun 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have hired Lane Lambert to serve as an assistant coach, per the Monumental Network. He is already very familiar with head coach Barry Trotz after spending the previous three seasons as an assistant with Nashville.
Lambert’s duties with the Predators included overseeing the team’s penalty kill and forwards. The Capitals’ other recent hire, assistant coach Todd Reirden, previously worked with defensemen and the power-play units with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Before becoming an assistant coach with Nashville, he was the bench boss of its AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals. The Admirals had a 178-103-39 record under him and allowed the second fewest goals of any team over his tenure.
Nashville’s penalty kill finished 25th and 29th in 2013-14 and the shortened campaign respectively, but it ranked 10th in 2011-12 with a 83.6% success rate.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29