Jun 27, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — For the third time in four years, Buffalo has taken a forward with its first pick at the draft.
The Sabres selected WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart with the second selection at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft on Friday night, their highest-drafted forward since taking Thomas Vanek fifth overall in 2003.
Reinhart, 18, had 30 goals and 105 points in 60 games for Kootenay this year, emerging as one of the top offensive talents in the Canadian Hockey League. At 6-foot-1, 183 pounds, he’ll need to add strength to compete at the NHL level but will be aided by his strong hockey lineage — his dad, Paul, had a productive career as a NHL defenseman while both his brothers, Max (Calgary) and Griffin (Islanders) were drafted into the league as well.
As mentioned, Reinhart is one of three forwards Buffalo’s selected with its first pick in the last four years, joining Mikhail Grigorenko (12th overall, ’12) and Joel Armia (16th overall, ’11).
The pick was also Tim Murray’s first as Buffalo GM, and he’ll be one to watch moving forward as he’s already expressed a desire to get another first-round pick before the night’s through.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)