Jun 27, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — For the third time in four years, Buffalo has taken a forward with its first pick at the draft.
The Sabres selected WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart with the second selection at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft on Friday night, their highest-drafted forward since taking Thomas Vanek fifth overall in 2003.
Reinhart, 18, had 30 goals and 105 points in 60 games for Kootenay this year, emerging as one of the top offensive talents in the Canadian Hockey League. At 6-foot-1, 183 pounds, he’ll need to add strength to compete at the NHL level but will be aided by his strong hockey lineage — his dad, Paul, had a productive career as a NHL defenseman while both his brothers, Max (Calgary) and Griffin (Islanders) were drafted into the league as well.
As mentioned, Reinhart is one of three forwards Buffalo’s selected with its first pick in the last four years, joining Mikhail Grigorenko (12th overall, ’12) and Joel Armia (16th overall, ’11).
The pick was also Tim Murray’s first as Buffalo GM, and he’ll be one to watch moving forward as he’s already expressed a desire to get another first-round pick before the night’s through.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)