Jun 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Raanta’s deal is worth $1.5 million while Smith will earn $3 million over the life of his contract, per ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
After some brief stints with the Blackhawks over the last few years, Smith firmly established himself in 2013-14 by scoring 14 goals and 26 points in 75 games. He helped the team kill penalties and served as a bottom-six forward. Chicago wasn’t afraid to use him in the playoffs either and Smith ended up averaging 15:13 minutes per contest in Chicago’s postseason run, up from 12:44 minutes in the regular season.
Raanta also had a big season in 2013-14. Although Nikolai Khabibulin was supposed to serve as Corey Crawford‘s understudy, Khabibulin was sidelined for almost the entire campaign. Raanta took his place, posting a 2.71 GAA and .897 save percentage in 25 games.
The 25-year-old goaltender is expected to continue to serve as Chicago’s backup now that he’s re-signed.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)