Jun 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Ryan Kesler might not end up being the only major Vancouver Canucks’ player to be dealt this summer. There’s also a fair chance that defenseman Jason Garrison will be traded in the near future, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Farhan Lalji.
The Tampa Bay Lightning and Montreal Canadiens have been cited as potential destinations. He does have a full no-trade clause, but it’s believed that he would be open to waiving it under the right circumstances. It’s also worth noting that Canucks GM Jim Benning has previously said that he won’t be shy about asking players to waive that clause if he has an opportunity to improve the team.
Although it’s not known what Montreal or Tampa Bay might offer in return, it would need to be something substantial. Garrison surpassed the 30-point mark in each of his last two 82-game seasons and can be trusted with over 20 minutes per game. He also got in front of 128 shots in 2013-14, which is in line with what he’s done throughout his career.
He’s in his prime at the age of 29 and given what blueliners are likely to command on the open market this summer, his $4.6 million annual cap hit through 2017-18 looks very reasonable.
Bieksa-Hamhuis, Edler-Tanev, Stanton-Corrado. Wouldn't be the worst six D. Would need to add one more for insurance I would think.
— Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) June 27, 2014
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)