Jun 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Ryan Kesler might not end up being the only major Vancouver Canucks’ player to be dealt this summer. There’s also a fair chance that defenseman Jason Garrison will be traded in the near future, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Farhan Lalji.
The Tampa Bay Lightning and Montreal Canadiens have been cited as potential destinations. He does have a full no-trade clause, but it’s believed that he would be open to waiving it under the right circumstances. It’s also worth noting that Canucks GM Jim Benning has previously said that he won’t be shy about asking players to waive that clause if he has an opportunity to improve the team.
Although it’s not known what Montreal or Tampa Bay might offer in return, it would need to be something substantial. Garrison surpassed the 30-point mark in each of his last two 82-game seasons and can be trusted with over 20 minutes per game. He also got in front of 128 shots in 2013-14, which is in line with what he’s done throughout his career.
He’s in his prime at the age of 29 and given what blueliners are likely to command on the open market this summer, his $4.6 million annual cap hit through 2017-18 looks very reasonable.
Bieksa-Hamhuis, Edler-Tanev, Stanton-Corrado. Wouldn't be the worst six D. Would need to add one more for insurance I would think.
— Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) June 27, 2014
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 0
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)