Jun 26, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla and the Boston Bruins want to stay together. But the relationship has some issues and, as such, it appears time to start seeing other people.
That’s the gist of today’s news as Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, confirmed to Sportsnet that his client will be meeting with teams other than the Bruins in the coming days. This development comes as the Bruins try to navigate themselves out of a nightmarish salary cap situation; they’re carrying $4.75 million in overage bonuses charges from last season — most of which ($3.95M) was paid to Iginla — leaving them with roughly $7-$8 million in available cap space with just 17 players under contract, nine of which are forwards.
GM Peter Chiarelli has acknowledged the team’s cap crunch and has said he’ll do what he can to retain Iginla. The soon-to-be 37-year-old had a great year in Boston last year — his first as a Bruin — leading the team with 30 goals as the perfect replacement for Nathan Horton on a line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic (aka the “KIL” line).
One thing Chiarelli won’t do, however, is utilize one of the team’s two remaining compliance buyouts to clear space. He confirmed as much last week, leading to speculation a trade of a veteran player could be in the works. Chiarelli further stoked those flames by not ruling out the idea and, in a related rumor, there are rumblings that Johnny Boychuk could be traded.
As for who Iginla might be speaking to? Meehan wouldn’t confirm, but it’s safe to think he’d only be interesting in joining a team contending for the Cup, given it’s one of the few accolades missing from his decorated resume.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)