Jun 26, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla and the Boston Bruins want to stay together. But the relationship has some issues and, as such, it appears time to start seeing other people.
That’s the gist of today’s news as Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, confirmed to Sportsnet that his client will be meeting with teams other than the Bruins in the coming days. This development comes as the Bruins try to navigate themselves out of a nightmarish salary cap situation; they’re carrying $4.75 million in overage bonuses charges from last season — most of which ($3.95M) was paid to Iginla — leaving them with roughly $7-$8 million in available cap space with just 17 players under contract, nine of which are forwards.
GM Peter Chiarelli has acknowledged the team’s cap crunch and has said he’ll do what he can to retain Iginla. The soon-to-be 37-year-old had a great year in Boston last year — his first as a Bruin — leading the team with 30 goals as the perfect replacement for Nathan Horton on a line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic (aka the “KIL” line).
One thing Chiarelli won’t do, however, is utilize one of the team’s two remaining compliance buyouts to clear space. He confirmed as much last week, leading to speculation a trade of a veteran player could be in the works. Chiarelli further stoked those flames by not ruling out the idea and, in a related rumor, there are rumblings that Johnny Boychuk could be traded.
As for who Iginla might be speaking to? Meehan wouldn’t confirm, but it’s safe to think he’d only be interesting in joining a team contending for the Cup, given it’s one of the few accolades missing from his decorated resume.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
She’s reportedly scheduled to appear before a grand jury on Sept. 8.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)