Jun 26, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla and the Boston Bruins want to stay together. But the relationship has some issues and, as such, it appears time to start seeing other people.
That’s the gist of today’s news as Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, confirmed to Sportsnet that his client will be meeting with teams other than the Bruins in the coming days. This development comes as the Bruins try to navigate themselves out of a nightmarish salary cap situation; they’re carrying $4.75 million in overage bonuses charges from last season — most of which ($3.95M) was paid to Iginla — leaving them with roughly $7-$8 million in available cap space with just 17 players under contract, nine of which are forwards.
GM Peter Chiarelli has acknowledged the team’s cap crunch and has said he’ll do what he can to retain Iginla. The soon-to-be 37-year-old had a great year in Boston last year — his first as a Bruin — leading the team with 30 goals as the perfect replacement for Nathan Horton on a line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic (aka the “KIL” line).
One thing Chiarelli won’t do, however, is utilize one of the team’s two remaining compliance buyouts to clear space. He confirmed as much last week, leading to speculation a trade of a veteran player could be in the works. Chiarelli further stoked those flames by not ruling out the idea and, in a related rumor, there are rumblings that Johnny Boychuk could be traded.
As for who Iginla might be speaking to? Meehan wouldn’t confirm, but it’s safe to think he’d only be interesting in joining a team contending for the Cup, given it’s one of the few accolades missing from his decorated resume.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53