Jun 26, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
The trade rumor mill is in full swing the night before the 2014 NHL Draft, yet it’s anyone’s guess if any big deals will happen – particularly for significant centers like Jason Spezza – as sides differ on price points.
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray admits that he wants more than what suitors are offering for his team’s current captain.
Plenty of teams seem interested, especially if the Senators ease their asking price down a bit. The St. Louis Blues, Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Ducks are among the many teams connected to the Spezza chase (along with the Ryan Kesler sweepstakes), though it’s anyone’s guess if those GMs can get a deal done.
The Blackhawks are considered the team that’s most aggressively pursuing a move at this moment, yet these situations can change quickly.
TSN presents an interesting scenario: the Toronto Maple Leafs have inquired about adding the 31-year-old, even if it would only be with the intention of flipping him in a different deal.
Will we see a compromise? We’ll find out soon enough (unless these sagas extend beyond the draft and through the summer, of course).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5